New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up motor and transmission from a 98 taurus. It has the AX4N transmission which I dont think will fit in my 02 cougar. I paid next to nothing for the set, the engine is clean and low miles for the year, has aluminum upper intake rather than the plastic. Im curious if anyone has used a first generation block that was a return style fuel delivery system and simply applied the returnless system to their swap without much issue? I want simplify the swap as much as possible if I can, I have SVT upper currently and wondering if its worth using on this block? If its possible to just stop the return side of the fuel rail and run it with my returnless system I will. Is it going to stress the pump or throw off fuel pressure sensor and make the car inoperable. I just got this set today and havent researched enough to answer some of these questions. I'm aware of the work involved to the timing cover swap and the lack of TDC markings for cam alignment, not to mention the phaser positioning to 2.5 timings. Also thinking about getting a stand alone ecu and saying F-it to having it tuned by some mail in tune outfit. I beat this car with my foot everytime i drive it, I want to attempt another 3.0 swap and not kill it within the first 50 miles again. So any help is appreciated with these questions.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,819 Posts
Yep. Short block should be ok to use, but you need newer heads unless you want to try and make an electric water pump work. And find somewhere to put it…

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep. Short block should be ok to use, but you need newer heads unless you want to try and make an electric water pump work. And find somewhere to put it…
I just started looking at 12v electric pumps and flow rates, would take out the thermostat and get a larger reservoir or a second one stash it behind bumper/fender area. That looks to be the easier route at this point.
Im gonna cap off the return line of the fuel rail and see what happens, atleast for now thats my thoughts until i read differently or is suggested alternate route.
I just got the motor and transmission off the truck and gotta start stripping away exhaust manifolds after separating the transmission and getting it on a stand.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
If the heads are the split port design like the 2.5, and shares the same intake allowing you to use the svt intake,, would it be possible to just put your intake on it? Or are the heads different?

I would definitely give it a gander before I plugged off a fuel line.

·
Premium Member
4,141 Posts
Just use your Cougar fuel rail.
This may not be worth the trouble. You're likely to spend as much money dealing with the coolant problem as you would just getting the correct block. Sell it and try again.

Reactions: The 1982 EXPert

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just use your Cougar fuel rail.
This may not be worth the trouble. You're likely to spend as much money dealing with the coolant problem as you would just getting the correct block. Sell it and try again.
Well i appreciate your optimism (or lack there of) but the motor came with a pump and i didnt even realize it. With minimal modification to the existing cooling system and removal of a/c system i am going to stick that pump in the a/c spot and hopefully be able to mount it so the pulley is close enough to where the a/c pulley was and keep the belt same-same. You are correct with using the returnless(original) fuel rail and the uim/lim svt setup is going on as well. No selling a block that was pretty much free and this is my try again with the 3.0 swap. there will be no try/try again though. If i kill this block its no more cougar collection and ill give away everything thats cougar related in my storage garage and my GOD!!! theres alot of parts. mmc757 please understand Im just doing this cuz i need a project to keep me out of mischief in my spare time. Ill keep ya posted with progress once im done stripping frosty down.

·
Premium Member
4,141 Posts
Well, Keep a good photo record of what you do, thats a conversion we don't have much information for.

·
Premium Member
4,141 Posts
I wonder if SVT heads would be a match for this block? We know the newer 3.0 blocks have an extra oil passage but maybe the 99's don't.
I've got a set I could be talked out of pretty easily if you want to try that. Shipping will suck I'm sure but 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1999 Cougar V6 MTX
22 Posts
Yeah just use your car's current fuel rail, it swaps over perfectly fine. Don't bother trying to cap a high pressure fuel line when you have the right one already there. Don't forget new injector seals!

Yep with the 3.0 you have to change the timing cover so do not forget to change the crank trigger wheel around or you'll never get timed spark, always fun learning this well after EVERYTHING is back in the car 😅

Before throwing in an unknown engine I strongly suggest changing headgaskets and valve stem seals. With the age it is you can likely find those fail within the first 5 minutes or 5 months of run time. You'll also confirm the cylinders are well and lap the valves for the best compression you can get. At this point you could go the route of a hybrid build, 2.5 heads will cure all your waterpump and intake concerns ;) Regardless, if you have the time port the heads too, stock ports are dreadful near the valve seats....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update to this project, so one of the plastic slides on the timing chain broke and scored part of the oil pump casing. It doesnt seem to be something catastrophic. once i get the chains off I will remove it and most likely just replace it. Minor set back.
Light Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder if SVT heads would be a match for this block? We know the newer 3.0 blocks have an extra oil passage but maybe the 99's don't.
I've got a set I could be talked out of pretty easily if you want to try that. Shipping will suck I'm sure but 🤷‍♂️
I appreciate the offer, wasnt planning on going that far into the block, was hoping for a quick and easy swap. Think ive got the water pump issue figured out and now it looks like an oil pump is gonna get replaced. ordering parts today, between this block and a focus i just picked up i got enough to keep me out of trouble this winter

·
Registered
1999 Cougar V6 MTX
22 Posts
Wow, you don't see that too often. Odds are the other 3 chain guides aren't far behind it so replace them all. Also check for chain stretch, I always recommend rebuilding these 3.0s because most have timing chain issues because teenagers inherent the car and only drive start-stop from home to school to work. That start-stop is hell on the chain & sprockets especially in a large heavy Taurus or Escape packed full of kids & school+band gear. Not to mention many now have bad gaskets & seals all around thanks to age.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, you don't see that too often. Odds are the other 3 chain guides aren't far behind it so replace them all. Also check for chain stretch, I always recommend rebuilding these 3.0s because most have timing chain issues because teenagers inherent the car and only drive start-stop from home to school to work. That start-stop is hell on the chain & sprockets especially in a large heavy Taurus or Escape packed full of kids & school+band gear. Not to mention many now have bad gaskets & seals all around thanks to age.
Yea its getting new chain and guides, maybe a set of svt cams also.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol, i realized this after i pulled them out of the case. Im just gonna run it like it is, i see no real reason to do anything other than the motor swap on an automatic. I tried getting a donor car that is manual from someone in Iowa but that deal hasnt happened. New parts should get here before thanksgiving, i'm hoping to have it swapped before december. I got a $300 focus i wanna turbo out, its a 5 speed and is faster than my cougar stock from 0-60, its a sad fact, but the focus is basically my go-cart toy ever since i sold off my cruisin cooler.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts