New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
"What is required to install this"

A pulley puller, and a pulley installer tool. Or you can fudge it with a long 14mmx1.5 bolt (someone check me on that thread pitch) and a sh*tload of washers... Either way, use an impact wrench! ;)

"is there any need for balancing?"

Nope. It's a balanced part from the factory.

"What can i expect performance wise (besides smoothness)? "

Nothing. Zip, zero, nada. It's an N/V/H mod only. (Defined in the FAQ for the newbies)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had heard thru the Duratec Forums in CEG and here and there that it was supposed to help as far as vibration throughout the drivetrain and durability....I may have seen that from the Ford FAQ's on that part.....

L8R
Rich

·
Registered
408 Posts
Some extra engine power can be acheived through the use of an underdrive pulley (which the dual mass is NOT) but, the problem is most products do away with the harmonic balancer. Without a harmonic balancer, it's possible that the undampened harmonics setup by the rotating engine components can detrimentally affect the main engine bearings.

Here's an excerpt from www.shopshop.com which is the only place that I've found that has an underdrive pulley that retains the factory harmonic balancer.

-------------
Underdrive Pulleys

Another way to add more power to the engine is to reduce the load that accessories place on it. Earlier during development we performed an interesting test. We removed the accessory belt and ran the car on the dyno. Without a load from alternator and power steering pump engine power went up by 8 HP. By designing a bigger power steering pulley along with smaller crankshaft pulley we were able to record a 4-5HP gain across the power band. Another benefit of our design is that we reattach factory dampener to our crankshaft pulley. Unlike other designs on the market, retaining a factory dampener ensures main bearing longevity and can very well play an important part in your engine’s lifespan.

Underdrive Pulleys Set $199
(Complete with Crankshaft and Power Steering Pulleys, and larger accessory belt)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.