New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few of you here, I'm looking for info on a DSM preferably eclipse and only the AWD version. If I'm looking to get one what year is the best and are there variations I should know about that make some years more favorable then others? I know the 1G are more robust in some aspects but I am more interested in something 97-99 just because I don't want to drive a 10 year old car no matter how fast it is

Also if your willing to give your opinon on the best mod path I'm all ears. I also don't know if different models are effected by crankwalk or if it is prevalent on all DSM's. Trans/transfer case durability? etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
i know that there are parts from 1g's that are better than 2g's and vice versa... but i'm not sure what... probably go to a DSM website...

i knwo the 2g trans is supposed to be better... but the intake and exhasue and mayeb even head on the 1g is supposed to build more power...

C

·
0 Posts
The 1g block is less prone to crankwalk, the source of this has yet to be determined. There are several guesses, but no one is sure. It doesn strike all of them. The 1g had a better flowing head, better flowing intake manifold and TB. The 91-92 had either a lsd or abs, after that they had both. 92(some)+ have dual piston caliper front brakes. The 2nd gen are my fav too, just for looks lol. If you can get a 4 bolt rear, they are far stronger.

for info go to dsm.org
teamnabr.com
or if you want to kick it with us non-turbo chrysler powered cars ( the 4g63 treat us like bastards lol).
2gnt.com

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ok i'll clue you in a little more. Like said prior the 1st gen block is desired among all dsm'ers. However the head off the second gen block is your first choice. Alluminum and able to withstand a bigger porting and polishing. I don't know if the second gen power split is the same as the first but the first gen power split is 60 rear and 40 front. So in snow it will act like a rear wheel drive only you can pull out of it.... HEHEHE There are 3 first gen models. GSX, GST and the regular pos model. GSX is awd turbo, GST is front wheel drive turbo. IF your looking for a good mod path i've got some tips. First off install a manual boost controller so you can turn the boost up a little bit. Second a K&N air intake. Always a good choice no matter what the application. Now if your really looking for power, time to touch the exhaust. You want to start by installing a bigger down pipe off the turbo. Then work your way back to the muff...... Ler that is. If you wanna get crazy after that, high volume fuel pump. Your gonna need it. Cause the bigger turbo is next. If you want to play it safe i suggest a second level 16G stage 2. This will require you to port your exhaust manifold to match the turbo though. I've got a sight you might wanna check out.....toys for dsm's I had a really tweaked 1st gen any questions i can answer i'll be glad too.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys, time to start searching some archives on those boards! :)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was waiting for you prez :) Thanks for the links

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Welcome... those links should do ya good. If not the folks at DSM Talk are very knowldgeable + when you search there is so much info it's crazy. I have learned so much.

The VFAQ and the 1000q are not bad either.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Originally posted by: Zalec
i love my 03 gts
Thats not a DSM.

Why would you pay 25K for a V6 slow eclipse when you can have a hauling ass Evo VIII for 29K?

The EVO VIII is more of a DSM it at least shares the same engine with only a bigger turbo. IMO the EVO VIII is the better buy... but if you like your eclipse thats fine with me. :)

** Prices came off here... http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/jsp/index.jsp

1 - 10 of 10 Posts