New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO TO CONVERT ME REAR DRUME TO DISC BRAKES OR WHERE TO FIND THIS INFORMATION. IS THERE A KIT FOR THIS???

·
Registered
974 Posts
There is no $5 bolt on 2 minute install kit out there. IMHO changing them would not be very worthwhile for all the trouble and money it would be. The rears do little braking compared to the front. Spending money on improved front brakes would be a little better idea.

Oops, nearly forgot:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
LOL love the caps lock thing :)

And I agree, I wouldn't worry too much about the rear brakes. The front would be my main concerns.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about the caps. The reason I'm asking about the brakes is I have plans within a year or so to build a 3.0L V6. Everything I have read on other threads about the 3.0 and any other engine upgrades is that the first thing to change is from rear drums to disc. Is this not needed???

Bye-the-way, thanks for the help...

·
Registered
974 Posts
I don't think it's worth the money/trouble. There's a lot you have to swap out. Improve your front brakes and you should be ok.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I seen one at contour.org in the "how to's"

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Mechanically If you want to upgrade your brakes anyway to a larger break kit, you would have to replace most of the components anyway. I am in the same predicament you are, when I am ready to upgrade them I am going to talk to a mechanic and get some professional advice. I suggest you so the same.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Call your local junkyard that deals in newer cars and I was quoted here was $125 for everything you need including backing plates, calipers, and rotors. That is for stock rear disc setup. Yes it does help quite abit, far less brake fade, the drums get brake fade. Brake bias is something like 67% on the fronts and 33% on the backs, as you can see most is done on the front but the rears help not to overload the fronts.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Consolidated reply to all comments:

Yes, it can be done.
Yes, there's a how to (from Jesse King - see this thread or click here).
I agree it won't make much difference.
If you're going to buy new parts from Ford, start looking at a second on the house... (it's going to take more than backing plates and calipers - you'll need complete wheel hubs with bearings, spindles, rotors, calipers, brake lines, e-brake cables and a few other odds and ends).

Ultimately, plenty of people have done pretty severe Cougar build ups and kept the rear drums. As has been said, upgrade the front to a Wilwood or Baer big brake setup and you should do o.k.

BTW - you said you want to do a 3.0L conversion and have rear drums - does that mean you have a 2.0L Zetec now? :confused: If that's the case... man, you must be rich. You'll have an EXTENSIVE amount of parts and modifcations to complete on a 3.0L swap from the 2.0L - probably cheaper to buy a 2.5L V6 Cougar - and it should come with rear discs - for a project car and use the Zetec for your daily driver.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I don't know about the cougars, but me and a buddy swapped his on a '69 Impala and it wasn't too complicated or hard. Of course his father-in-law was there and had done it before. THis was a few years back so I can't really remember all the details!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hubs are the same between drum and disc. I know that for a fact. Parking brake cables will hook in stock location, i know for a fact cause I have done it.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I've done the swap for $100. PM tdford...he has a list of parts you need. Its easy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts