New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So someone decided to take out my mirror today and f*cking drive off so now im missing a driver side mirror. Anyone know how to replace one just ordered a replacement. I really dont want to have to remove the door panel for a stupid mirror repair

·
Administrator
11,458 Posts
Re: Drivers side mirror 35th ann ‘02 cougar

There's a triangular shaped piece of plastic above the door card where the mirror meets. It should pop off (careful of the clips) and a bolt holds the mirror on.

I don't believe the door card has to come off to get that piece out, but removing the door is easy enough with a phillips head screwdriver and torx bit:
  • 3 anti-rattle torx screws along the door card edge (2 on lock side, 1 on fender side)
  • 1 Philips head behind the door handle logo cap (pops out w/a pick or tiny flat-head)
  • 1 Phillips head behind a trim cap at the center-base
  • 1 torx screw at the bottom corner towards the fender

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thank you hopefully i can figure this all out when i get the mirror. I appreciate your help

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I dont remember the details, but I have replaced a mirror before and it wasnt a major production.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Re: Drivers side mirror 35th ann ‘02 cougar

I guess I didnt have to go that deep for mine. My triangular base was still intact. Surely it must screw onto the top of the door though? Pulling the door panel isnt too hard. If I remember right, youve got screws on the bottom, one or two under the carpet on the door, and one under the Cougar head on the handle.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah there are no screws in any of those places. There are 3 screws. Two on the out side edge of the panel and one on the inside. Removed them and the thing wouldnt budge.

·
Administrator
24,230 Posts
Yeah I don’t think you have to pull the door panel.

Should just be held on by a few nuts behind the little triangle trim panel inside.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Idk man i guess im just dumb cause i tried to remove that panel and it didnt seem to want to move

·
Registered
28 Posts
theres 6 screws holding the panel to the door, 2 torx on the side with the door latch, 1 torx on the side by the mirror, 1 behind the small cougar emblem, 1 in the middle of the door kinda hidden, and one at the front of the door pocket also somewhat hidden. I just swapped both mirrors on my cougar, fairly simple and straight forward, the trickest part is not letting the nuts fall into the door frame when removing them, use a magnetic bit or something similar to avoid any lost nuts. Good luck with your repairs, and expect many more in the future.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol thanks but you just posted after i got it finished. Check the message before yours

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah i found that out when i went to remove the nuts. Had to grab me a magnetic rod

1 - 15 of 15 Posts