New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
3L Roush
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, the time has come for me to get the car e-tested so I can get plates.

Now, will this thing pass? Dan (Massiv) told me to take it to a specific place in Thornhill because they can change some 'setting' that allows higher tolerances. Can they even do that? I wouldn't think you can change settings on that machine...

The car has a hi-flow cat w/ MSDS headers and full exhaust.

I need to figure out my options here. I don't want to bring it somewhere and it fails and then i'm screwed.

What do I do?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I heard of places like that. What they do is instead of scanning your VIN they enter all the values in the system.
Thats what i understood they do

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I heard of places like that. What they do is instead of scanning your VIN they enter all the values in the system.
Thats what i understood they do
I was always under the understanding that the whole test was based on the VIN that was entered, either by a scan or manual entry. The machines are directly linked to the MTO DB which has all the relevent particulars about the car. I never knew there was a way to manually adjust the machines test settings. I think if the MTO is updated as to, in this case, a different engine, they will update their DB to reflect that so the etest machine is aware of the change.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Thats the reason I've been unsure of getting headers... because it eliminates the pre-cats right? (the ones for controlling startup emissions?) So if the car is tested from a cold start... it will fail. I was told it would be fine, so long as the car is run on the highway before going, to get everything nice and hot.
(to those mechanically inclined - is that accurate? :) )

Sounds like you should bring it to the place that Massiv brought it to... if they changed the setting for him, i'm sure they would do it for you? I would call ahead of showing up though :)
Thats annoying if theres only ONE place you can ever go to though..

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
well there are places that do "etesting" by scanning ur vin then putting another car on the runners. i dont know of any place locally to do that anymore so i wont be of help. but just ask around
and yes matt you are right going on the highway before ur etest is key because the catalytic runs at approx 600 degrees (i was told that a long time ago so dont quote me on that) so giving it time to sufficiently warm up will make a big difference, even if it has to wait 15-20 minutes to get the machine.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Did you try pming Pierre?

My 97 bonneville managed to fail the first time, we replaced the heads but it still has a miss....it passed. I drove the hell out of it before hand though.

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
Putting a bottle of Methyl Hydrate in helps. You can buy it at any hardware store. I've had gutted pre-cats and a high flow cat for years and never had a problem passing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dont bother putting it as a "Hot Rod" just put it as a 2.5L because the 3L burns alot cleaner than teh 2.5L so you will be fine. Or you can just do a curb idle (I had this done once because the car was too low to get onto the emissions dyno!). My current 3L passed with flying colours. Oh if Dan did an emissions test a year ago then you are fine because you have one year in which to transfer E-Tests between buyers.

Aaron

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Dont bother putting it as a "Hot Rod" just put it as a 2.5L
Also, if the MTO keeps track of that, they might want to know why its being tested as such. Then if there is any sort of info sharing between the MTO and the insurance co's and the insurance finds out....Well I don't think any more needs to be said.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
don't know how they do it there but I know that here as long at you don't have a check engine light on then you pass. The plus into your obd2 and it you have no codes then you passed so all you have to do is build some miles to run in series with you O2 sensors

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
don't know how they do it there but I know that here as long at you don't have a check engine light on then you pass. The plus into your obd2 and it you have no codes then you passed so all you have to do is build some miles to run in series with you O2 sensors
That doesn't apply here, they stick a sniffer in the tail pipe.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
So you guys are saying I should just put it up as a 2.5 and I will pass...

Dan is telling me to put it as a 'hot-rod' because he thinks it won't pass...

What do I do? LOL
have it tested "hot" see if it passes for a 2.5L. If not, go the other route. Basically, if you kit the car no place will put it up (mine was curb tested aswell) they only run the car at idle, then up to like 5000 RPM's, DONE. The cougar's ratings are set pretty high, mine all showed 00% accross the board when they did mine.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.