New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drilled/slotted Rotor install question!!!

Im in the process of put on my new rotors that are drilled and slotted but dont know which way the slotteds should face???

Anyone???

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
RE:Drilled/slotted Rotor install question!!!

You're stuck with how they face- I would slot from bottom left to top right (looking at the top of the rotor). Whole idea is to cut from max velocity to min velocity (leading edge of the slot travelling the fastest hitting the pad first and "cutting" downwards). My guess would be they're both cut the same way though, so you may be SOL...

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I figured it out thanks though

·
Premium Member
22,503 Posts

Originally posted by: DanG
You're stuck with how they face- I would slot from bottom left to top right (looking at the top of the rotor). Whole idea is to cut from max velocity to min velocity (leading edge of the slot travelling the fastest hitting the pad first and "cutting" downwards). My guess would be they're both cut the same way though, so you may be SOL...

It depends on which side of the car you put them on. I found that out when I put my cross drilled ones on. Plus the outer edge of ther rotor is moving at a faster velocity then the inner. So the leading edge of the slot should go from top left to bottom right.

Like this! Buy the way Stop Tech make the best brakes! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts

Originally posted by: MaverickFlyer

It depends on which side of the car you put them on. I found that out when I put my cross drilled ones on. Plus the outer edge of ther rotor is moving at a faster velocity then the inner. So the leading edge of the slot should go from top left to bottom right.
Not to be a J.A, but the velocity of the rotor is the same near the center as it is at the outer edge. ( Velocity = Distance / Time ) !!!:biggrin:

I think that you would want the slot to expel the brake dust & heat to the outside of the rotor, hense leading edge of slot hitting the pad first and rotation to the outside. ( I know that is what you said, just had to correct you on the velocity! );)

·
Registered
8,955 Posts

Originally posted by: tommerp
Originally posted by: MaverickFlyer

Not to be a J.A, but the velocity of the rotor is the same near the center as it is at the outer edge. ( Velocity = Distance / Time ) !!!:biggrin:

I think that you would want the slot to expel the brake dust & heat to the outside of the rotor, hense leading edge of slot hitting the pad first and rotation to the outside. ( I know that is what you said, just had to correct you on the velocity! );)
Well your not a jack ass your just wrong.... ( Velocity = Distance / Time ) as your own post says ... farther out on any disc the distance traveled is GREATER therefor GREATER velocity... Just consider the circumference difference of lets say the Front Rotors 278mm Vs the Back Rotors 260mm C=pi*d .... C = 3.14 * 278 = 872.92 vs C = 3.14 * 260 = 816.4 thats a 9% difference in velocity over just an 18mm change in distance.... time is irrelevant in the equation since they will both be moving at the same RPM.

Anyway ... some of the better slotted / cross drilled rotors are made as mirrored pairs .... mine are only cross drilled.... (ordered slotted ...bah was too late to send them back) but they are drilled in a mirrored pattern, there for there is a right and left ...

·
Premium Member
22,503 Posts

Okay but your wrong, and right at the same time!:rofl:

Velocity = Distance / Time , So the outer edge of the rotor is a larger diameter then the inner diameter. So the outer edge is covering a larger distance than the inner diameter in the same amount of time. So technically it is moving at a faster velocity! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok guys we got it.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
<Sigh>

You're all geeks.

Oh, wait. So am I. I just didn't need equations to know I was right.. :tongue:

I would want the leading edge to cut first and shave down towards the center. I see your point on expelling brake dust, but I think that's just grasping at straws considering that any decent set of brakes is going to be vented anyway... ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Um...... Sorry to cause such a stir!

By the way, can anyone figure out the actual rotational velocity of my Cougar ( 01 V6 MTX, 50K ) when I am doing doughnuts backwards in a Home Depot parking lot while rotating clockwise with the front passenger wheel stationary? I should be trying this next Tuesday - make sure that you calculate for rain in Michigan because I think it is predicted for that day.

I'm thinking about to do this but need the calculations.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Whats the ambient temperature and humidity?

Whats the diamater of the dougnut your gonna do? and at what speed?

And is that an afican swallow or an european swallow carrying the coconut?

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Originally posted by: sidkid
if your driving down the river in a canoe with a monkey and all the wheels fall off, how many oranges are there in the basket?
None, the damn monkey ate them all. Wait a minute...i thought monkey's liked bananas? Crap, i got a retarded monkey...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.