New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find a how to on installing the drift front. I'm getting mine soon and would like to attempt to install it myself. If you know where I can find one, it would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I just took mine off its pretty simple really.

Since there are NO holes predrilled for perfect fitment you must do this all urself. But you WILL need someone to help.

Start by taking off ur 5mph bumper, cuz well if you get hit in the front ur bumper is runined anyways. Then lay the bumper in front of your car so that it looks straight. Be sure to keep all hardware from your old bumper as you will use it all.

You want to place the bumper in place resting the upper layer of fiberglass that is elevated onto the old bumper rest in the middle and then have a friend line it up so it is straight. Then before drilling anyholes, make sure that the fender lines up with the bumper correctly because you dont want it all ****eyed.

THen take a marker or something and get under the front bumper support bracket and mark the holes you will need to drill, but BE SURE everything is lined up properly and looks good.

After drilling those, place the bumper on using the old hardware from the bumper bracket and stock bumper. THen you must line up each side of the bumper with the car and fender lines and mare the 2 holes inside of your fender where the old bumper screwed into the fender. You will need to remove the tire lining in your fenderwells in order to do this.

After lining that up hold it in place and mark the 2 holes there as well. Then take it all off and drill out those 2 holes and then use all the stock hardware to completely install it.

I have not reinstalled it, but know since I got the crappy Henshin fenders that this will be a total pain and is not going to be easy beacuse the fender holes have alot of travel and werent really tight when I took it off to remesh it. Also be sure to lift up the splash guard and fit it into the bumper when placing it on, its a perfect fit.

ANymore ?s please PM me.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
It does not hurt to make a couple of support brackets to go underneath it, either. I have two pieces of steel, approximately a foot long and an inch wide, that connects the underside of my bumper to the car as well. I drive my car every day in Charlotte which has some horrific roads, and it has really held up great.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I will be ordering the drift soon and I am wondering if the front and rear and maybe the sideskirts are good fitment,or is it something that the bodyshop has to do because they want to charge me a lot just to install.Thats why i was wondering if I can attempt to install any part of the dirft on my own? Any Suggestions?

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
bumper.......... install for both front and rear is really pretty easy...took me about 2 hours for each bumper

side skirts......took one good look at them....put them up to car.......laughed histerically......called bodyshop for appointment

G

·
Hey, I want to know how to get my front bumper to line up with the car on my drift kit. Its got a pretty good size gap. Did yours fit perfect? I even made brackets and put under it and that brought it up alot but it still gaps.
Please let me know
thanks

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
as i understand it...most if not all drift bumpers have a gap between the headlights and the bumper.....i made a custom braket to push the bumper up also and reduced the gap from about 5/8 inch to less than a 1/4....i think thats about as close as you will get due to design of the bumper

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.