New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know where i can tap into to get the door open signal. I want to wire all of my interior neons to my doors so that when you open the doors, they come on....also, would it be best to do this with a relay or could i use the power directly?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Tap into the wire that turns the 12second light on. Its in the overhead console, just dont know which wire. LOL

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SO i should probably use a relay then right, run a wire from that light down to a relay that controls the lights that are on their own power wire so i dont draw too much aperage from other stuff?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Not sure on that one. One of the experts will chime in on this noe in the morning. 01blkcat and Excelcier are the ones to ask though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes definately run them off a relay. And the best bet would be to use that wire in the over head like said above. If you try to run them off the actual door triggers they are seperate and you would have to diode isolate each of them so no matter which door opens they would go on.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet, thanks for clearing that all up for me...i had the basic idea but i needed a little push in the right direction... :)

I guess i would tap in right before the positive input on the light, therefore everytime that light is on the neons are on (neons will also have a master 3way (ON/OFF/DOOR) switch)

Also, anyone knoe what type of bulbs are in the overheads? i want them red...but i dont want to make a "filter" to make them red, i was wondering if anyone knew where to get red bulbs, or i could just make my own out of a small group of leds...butlights would be cleaner...

anywho, thanks alot...im going to draw up a wiring diagram and post it to see if it makes sense to you guys.. (a simple one...im no electritian, but i understand most electricla stuff)

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
This diagram might help you out a little...

Make sure you properly fuse each 12V+ line and ground each neon tube to a known good ground point, preferably close to the each tube itself. BTW, that's a SPDT relay, but you could use a SPST for this project.

·
Registered
517 Posts
leibier-great diagram.
PS- make sure to ground the neons too!!
josh

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
very helpful, I was curious how to wire that up myself (annnnddd its bookmarked)

~Terry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts