New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 white v6-automatic
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been poking around here for a couple of days since my son bought his 2001 v6. I have been reading up on the door lock stuff but nothing seems to fit what we have going on, so here goes:

when pressing unlock I can hear the actuator engaging. It will unlock the driver's side door. Passenger side does nothing. However, when I press lock, nothing happens on either door. Same with trunk release.

Unlock button on key fob does the same thing, will unlock the driver's door but that is it. Panic button not working on fob either.

Because the unlock button works both interior and on key fob, can't be fuse or fob pairing. So my questions are:

1. New actuators for both sides?
2. Why would trunk release not work if on separate actuators?
3. Why does panic/alarm function on remote not work if the actuators are affected?

New to the cougar so apologize in advance for what might be a plethora of questions!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Stupid question. How many times are you hitting the button?
All mine only unlock the driver door first time I hit the button. You have to unlock twice to get the passenger door to unlock.
As well with the trunk I believe is a double tap thing.
On the keyfob that is not the buttons in the car

·
Registered
2001 white v6-automatic
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stupid question. How many times are you hitting the button?
All mine only unlock the driver door first time I hit the button. You have to unlock twice to get the passenger door to unlock.
As well with the trunk I believe is a double tap thing.
On the keyfob that is not the buttons in the car
Thanks for the reply rooster. Unfortunately, it doesn't even sound like the actuator is engaging at all during the lock sequence. I am assuming that driver's and passenger side actuators need to be replaced. But wondering why that would affect the trunk? Neither the key fob nor the trunk release button in the car are doing anything. Is that a different fuse maybe? Also, assuming that because I can't lock the car with the fob that I cannot activate the security system (since I can't get the panic button to work)?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks for the reply rooster. Unfortunately, it doesn't even sound like the actuator is engaging at all during the lock sequence. I am assuming that driver's and passenger side actuators need to be replaced. But wondering why that would affect the trunk? Neither the key fob nor the trunk release button in the car are doing anything. Is that a different fuse maybe? Also, assuming that because I can't lock the car with the fob that I cannot activate the security system (since I can't get the panic button to work)?
The actuator on the trunk could be bad also.

New door lock actuators, both sides, clips and foam. Part number XS8Z-6321812-AAA
Look on eBay as this is the only place I’ve seen these.
The rear trunk can be opened from the inside of the car. Pop the hatch cover from behind the rear seats and pull the 2 levers to fold the seats down. There should be an emergency release on the passenger side of the trunk panel cover. That will pop the hatch open. Best to do it with 2 people. The actuator isn’t hard to replace but we can help if you need help. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 white v6-automatic
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The actuator on the trunk could be bad also.

New door lock actuators, both sides, clips and foam. Part number XS8Z-6321812-AAA
Look on eBay as this is the only place I’ve seen these.
The rear trunk can be opened from the inside of the car. Pop the hatch cover from behind the rear seats and pull the 2 levers to fold the seats down. There should be an emergency release on the passenger side of the trunk panel cover. That will pop the hatch open. Best to do it with 2 people. The actuator isn’t hard to replace but we can help if you need help. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Key works on all doors/trunk so no issues getting in/out of the vehicle there. Looking at that part number, it shows for a '99 cougar. Did the parts change at all for his 2001 or will this part number above work? I think i found a pair of them for around $150 so might try to get my hands on those.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts