New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so just a few weeks ago I got a brand-new battery because my old one kept dying on me, After I installed this battery it was working well untill a couple days ago, my car won't start, the battery is dead.

I know why it's dead, I didn't leave my lights on or anything, it's my door chime, I've always got a key in the ignition (it's bent, so I leave it in) and I use my remote starter to lock/unlock the doors.

This problem started quite some time ago, and progressively got worse, it started with me hitting a little bump and my interior lights coming on and a couple seconds of dinging, but it's gotten much worse, the dinging is pretty much constant and I've turned off my interior lights so that they don't come on anymore. I notice that if I push on my driver-side door just right, it'll stop, however.

It looks to me like the little black piece of (hard) plastic is worn off, and not pressing the button in all the way anymore, is there an easy way to fix this? Certain fuse to take out that will disable that chime? (if it takes the interior lights with it that's no big loss)

The problem is that the chime won't stop dinging, and eventually kills off my battery, it's quite annoying. Gas prices are going down and I want to do some driving!

·
8,638 Posts
Couldn't you just replace the door switch?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

It's a little hard to tell, but basically that black thing is worn down, and on the last picture the thing to the right is the button it has to press in, and it's not quite doing that.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Does your door seem loose when it's closed? If not, then I'd still be suspect of the switch.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Check on the door itself... there may be an adjustment where you can tighten it up a bit against the switch. Both of the switches in my Coug went out though. They're pretty delicate inside there so, still, I'd be suspicious of them.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
You could always unplug the electronic speaker. It's under the driver's side next to the fuse box. You don't have to remove it, just get it far enough unplugged so it doesn't make contact. It'll just sit there and if you really want the wiper's back you can push it up a little bit with your foot and it should hold...... You'll figure it out if you try it.

It'll stop the noise but I'm not sure it'll stop the whole problem. However, if you do that, you will lose the intermediate wiper position because they're on the same circuit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could always unplug the electronic speaker. It's under the driver's side next to the fuse box. You don't have to remove it, just get it far enough unplugged so it doesn't make contact. It'll just sit there and if you really want the wiper's back you can push it up a little bit with your foot and it should hold...... You'll figure it out if you try it.

It'll stop the noise but I'm not sure it'll stop the whole problem. However, if you do that, you will lose the intermediate wiper position because they're on the same circuit.

If you just unplug the speaker, the car would still try to send an electrical current to it, not? So yea, it'd kill the noise, but it would still kill my battery? Correct me if i'm wrong, even though this is the season for wind-shield wipers in ND, if it's my only option for a temporary fix it's what i'll have to do.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
If you just unplug the speaker, the car would still try to send an electrical current to it, not? So yea, it'd kill the noise, but it would still kill my battery? Correct me if i'm wrong, even though this is the season for wind-shield wipers in ND, if it's my only option for a temporary fix it's what i'll have to do.
I would think that because the energy isn't being used (the speaker is not dinging) that it won't kill the battery but I could be wrong. I would do it anyway until you find a long term solution. You can still use your wipers on mid or high, it's just the first click and dial you lose.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Source + Load + Path = Circuit

Remove any of them and you have no current. The speaker is your load in this case.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts

We did this with mine and it was great. We cut the whole speaker out though. Everything still worked afterwards, except the dinging.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can just pull a fuse that will cut the door lights and the door chime. I'm not sure which one it is though :/

We were removing the door panel of the door of my friend's Camaro and were so annoyed with the dinging that we just found the fuse and pulled it out, worked like a charm.

I'm just not positive which fuse it is :tongue:

·
Registered
1 Posts

I would agree and say very accurate

1 - 18 of 18 Posts