New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my nearby AutoZone auto parts store inquiring if they stock a battery for my Cougar. I anticipate it going soon as next month as my car will celebrate it's 4th birthday from the factory and cold temps comming soon.:loser: After finding out they do stock one, I then commented on the problems we have with our cars as to our alternators. Another customer suggested he avoids using the rear defrosters on his cars as it causes alternators to fail
Has anybody else heard of this? I realize that they do draw a lot of amps, especially with the defrosters on high speed, a/c compressor going on too, do they really hurt our alternators:confused:

As to batteries - be careful where you buy. The standard battery (V-6 models) is almost exclusive to our cars as to US made cars. It is also used by some Mercedes-Benz and other luxury model cars too. Few places offer comparatible standard equivelant batteries. If you have heavy sound, other power equipment, you will have already gone to the Optima batteries. Sears only offers one battery for replacement - at $119.99
AutoZone offers their next to the top of line battery that will fit our cars, with a 7-year warranty (3 yr. 'free' replacement) for $59.99 :cool: a much more reasonable price, plus you can get the alt/battery tested when you install it. Wal-mart and other mass retailers do not stock batteries for our cars. Not sure about Pep Boys, and the many regional and national car parts/tire/repair shops, but suspect some carry them at reasonable prices too. Of course, can always buy a Motorcraft original - but suspect would be $75 + dollars. :crazy:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
If the Motorcraft stock alternators are weak to begin with, then yes- Extra load over the lifetime of the alternator will lead to earlier failure. Under normal circumstances, the impact of an increased load should be negligible- They're rated to be able to take the max. load of all of the electrical accessories in the vehicle.

All comes down to this- Which lasts longer- The hard drive that is constantly seeing massive usage or the one that's only turned on every once in a while? With a good hard drive, the answer should be a toss-up...

·
Registered
716 Posts
I got a battery from walmart with 3-year free replacement for $45.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Good thinking, I had to get a new battery after 4 years to the day. Either my battery killed my alt. or my alt. killed my battery, but I had to replace both at that time. 4 years, a little over 100k miles on each.

I got mine at advance auto parts for about 60 bucks. They only had one in the store that would work with the car and I think the terminals on it are a tiny bit smaller.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to check again at Wal-mart, but last time there, no battery listed in their look up. I live in northern NJ, where very few Wal-marts, and only came into northern NJ the last 4-5 years, but some more comming in. Then again, my nearest Wal-mart is quite small, maybe larger / supercenter outlets offer them in stock, or stock one that can adapt to fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts