New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was going through my engine bay today when i noticed something ontop of my tranny by the shifter tower.

does this bolt appear to belong to the Cougar or did it somehow find a way up there? by the way, if you cant tell its snapped/sheared

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
If your tranny is a MTX, then that could be the bottom part of the Driver side Upper Mount... the bolt bolts in from the bottom of the rubber isolator and holds the metal mount up to the isolator...

If it sheared, then your tranny should be hanging down slightly on the driver's side ????? !!!!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that looks like the ball joint pinch bolt, Mike
are you taling about the bolt that holds the ball joint nto the knuckle? if so i dont believe it to be that. IIRC the bolt on my car that does that is a 15mm nut with a 18mm bolt.

If your tranny is a MTX, then that could be the bottom part of the Driver side Upper Mount... the bolt bolts in from the bottom of the rubber isolator and holds the metal mount up to the isolator...

If it sheared, then your tranny should be hanging down slightly on the driver's side ????? !!!!!
****, i hope your wrong. lol. i am actually going to go check this now. although, with the serging i had today pulling onto the highway i might not be too suprised.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I've seen one break like that... gring0 did it on his 2000 Contour, shifted real hard and wheel hop like crazy, and the bolt just sheared!!! :eek:

·
Banned
5,184 Posts
are you taling about the bolt that holds the ball joint nto the knuckle? if so i dont believe it to be that. IIRC the bolt on my car that does that is a 15mm nut with a 18mm bolt.
actually it would be the other way around, I wasn't sure what stle you had, I have seen both in the knuckle to the ball joint.

Greg could be right though, I totally forgot about the bolt he mentioned

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
actually it would be the other way around, I wasn't sure what stle you had, I have seen both in the knuckle to the ball joint.

Greg could be right though, I totally forgot about the bolt he mentioned
Not many people even know that bolt exists, i just happen to know about it, because of gring0's incident with breaking his mount...:)

·
Banned
5,184 Posts
you gotta tear the mount out and try to extract the broken part. I would suggest soaking it in trans fluid for a couple hours to make sure the threads are not siezed. I am not sure how this thing looks taken apart, but maybe you are lucky and you can remove the bushing and grab what's left of the bolt with vise-grips and spin it out. Otherwise you are gonna be drilling it out. Best bet would be with a carbide left hand drill bit.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i realy only have to replace the bolt if it all looks good? also, do you know if the bolt is loctited in? bcecause i could always take the mount o school and take an extractor to it

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mmmk. that doesnt sound too difficult. and ill ask here, when it comes to fuel pumps...can i basically have free reign over what i get as long as its a return pump? cos i dont have 200$ for the one from teamford

1 - 13 of 13 Posts