New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've read several forums about how to set off the factory installed alarm. That's nice, but does anyone know how to totally deactivate it? Right now, I can't lock the car without the alarm going off.

I figure the problem is in that little button on the door latch, because I currently have the door lock/alarm fuse pulled, and the alarm will not go off when I lock the car. But, whenever that fuse is back in, every time I lock the car, the alarm sounds within 2 minutes. It sure would be nice to be able to use the key fob again to lock and unlock my car without this alarm going off every time I lock it.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Are you talking about the panic alarm that you use the panic button with or the Ford Alarm? I just ripped my Ford alarm right out of the engine bay.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I hit the panic button the same alarm goes off. What do you mean by "Ford Alarm"???

My Cougar is a 99 V6, TOTALLY UNMODIFIED. This is the alarm that came on the car from the factory.

Exactly what did you rip out from under the hood?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had the same problem....do this, it might help:

-Quickly, open your car door, and press the unlock button on the door.

-Close the door and put your key in the door lock and turn to lock, then turn to unlock.

-Open the door and close it and press lock on your remote.

That should fix it. Just make sure you do all these steps really fast.

If you do, never use your key to manually unlock or lock your car when you have the remote. Possibly, maybe someone borrowed your car and used the key to unlock the doors while the car was armed by the remote, making it screw up like that.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I had some type of alarm in my car and one time it started malfunctioning so the dealership had to drill some little LED light into the dash near the headlight switch that flashed when the car was off (like the one in the center console that flashes red). Well anyway that didn't work out too well cuz I hit the switch one time and all weird stuff started happening so the dealership just cut the wires that went from the alarm to that LED switch, but left the alarm under the hood. I ripped it out cuz it was just taking up space. I still have my panic alarm though.

Mike

·
Registered
1999 Cougar V6 MTX
19 Posts
My 99 V6 MTX was having issues, the security light was on solid (but dim) while blinking (like it normally blinks) and none of the electric locks or hatch release worked. Saw that a previous owner removed fuse #25 (security alarm & door lock fuse) and every time I plugged it in the alarm would go off and not stop until I pull the fuse back out.

So I unhooked the battery for 15 minutes and inserted fuse #25 while the car had no power. Then I hooked the battery back up and the alarm started screaming its guts out again after a 2 second delay. So while it was honking away I pressed the hood switch (by passenger headlight) 7 times within about 4 seconds then ran over to my driver door. I locked & unlocked my driver door with my physical key and the second I unlocked the door all doors unlocked and the alarm halted. Now EVERYTHING works like new again!!!

Thanks Drewman for the tip!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts