New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do-it-yourself mesh grill???>>>>

i have heard of people doing this with mesh gutter guard? Is this possible on our cars and is there a how-to somewhere? If so i couldn't find it?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
161 Posts
my friend did his grille (98 altima) with mesh he bought at home depot, 27" X 8' 2.99$

·
Registered
597 Posts
I had my grill made out of gutter guard mesh and it's not looking so bad. But with time, it's kind of 'fading' and it's not looking the best. What I've done is I bought custom polished aluminium grill mesh from APC. You should be able to find it at your local auto parts store or maybe speed shop. It looks way better (it shines), it's thicker and it easier to work. You can easily cut it with std scissors. I paid around 25-30$ for it..

Just my 0.02

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Sorry to say guys that is gutter guard!! I just took way too much time to do it and made sure I didnt mess it up... If anyone really wants a "how to" on this I will write it up.. Just PM me with your email addy.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Here's my home depot grill....the only problem with installing these is the damn cuts you get when you poke yourself with a sharp piece of mesh.

·
Registered
892 Posts
OMG! i just spent a whole day doing the space on the bottom and my hands are ripped up! i used gutter grill and it looks tight but it isn't held on tight. i have another post on this page about it

·
Registered
892 Posts
IsraelHoudini, when u'r friend did his altima, did he do the grill w/ the eemblem on it or the space on teh bottom of the car. me and my friend were trying to get this today but we couldn't take off the grill to put in the mesh.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Have you kids ever thought of wearing some garden gloves when working with sharp metal??

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
I use welders gloves, double-layers. :cool:

;)

Actually, I might be looking into using that for a different non-Cougar project. It looks good though. :) Thanks for all the tips floating around.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Go to a place that deals with sheet metal and whatnot and ask for -expanded metal-. You can get in a few sizes just say you will have to look at it to see.. And when I do work on the car I use those mecanix.
(spelt something like that) gloves and they are awesome. The thing is is you get the expanded metal (the same stuff they use on the aftermarket kits) You will need metal sheers The kind you use off of an air compressor..

-jon

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
what about the risk of scratching your paint on the underside of the grille?? any risk of that? i am "this close" to doing the mod (i have all the stuff) so i need to know if there is extra precautions i need to take before i go ahead and do it. any input/personal experiences will be appreciated! thanks:)
heidi

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I was thinking of going to the expanded metal when a California Golden Hawk committed suicide in my lower grill.. UCH!! I was doing about 90 along I5 and he hit just about my right fog lamp.. It took along time to fish the parts out of the larger plastic grill and I can't imagine what it would be like with the softer, smaller gutter guard..

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Damn those suicidal birds! And now of course his family is going to sue you for wrongful death... ;) Should we call you MrFrOJ instead?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
nevermind guys, i found another "how-to" on this by badkitty01c2 that dosent require the mesh to be wrapped around the grille. i can just cut it exactly and then use black zip ties...i'll take a pic and put it up as soon as im finished. thanks all! :)

·
Registered
892 Posts
i tried and used gutter guard on my coug but i didn't like the look. instead i tried sumthing else. i got aluminum screen and double wrapped it around the grilles. make sure u double or triple wrap it because if not u can see through it. to latch it in the back i used those one-way snap ties and it came out looking good.

i'm trying to upload the pics but its not working but its late so i'll try again tomorrow

andrew

1 - 20 of 25 Posts