New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GUT YOUR PRECATS

Just do it :)

I don't know why I am so enamored by this mod. It just rocks I guess.

This is the HOWTO
No one has failed emissions due to this even in Cali from what I know...

Oh you can check out any of the other MC-NECO HowTos... geez that reminds me I have to get my Apexi one up there... soon.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Now, I was gonna do this during the winter or soon... But after talking to Slade and Matt we decided I would be better to just buy headers.... So that means Xmas present to myself!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Anyone that knows how to do this wanna come down to NEbraska and help me as I have no clue and not all the tools... I'll buy the beer.

Please....

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just invest the money in the tools, not much is required
and then you can use them for the next job you do .. saving you more money... see a pattern developing...

·
Registered
507 Posts
more power or more sound>???

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
see my problem is I need pictures to go with the how too... then I could do it. But no pics=no go for me on this mod... maybe the next person to do this could take pictures.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I removed mine ...
it works great and still passed emissions

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to add something to this thread based on a few questions I got PM'ed about.

I don't know where all this stupid mis-information comes from.

Here are the factsabout gutted precats:

(a) gutted pre-cats are good for 3-8 horsepower
(b) gutted pre-cats have never failed emissions (even in Cali. where they are real tough)
(c) gutted pre-cats do add a low rumble to any exhaust setup
(d) gutted pre-cats cannot hurt your car in any way
(e) gutted pre-cats in no way prevent you from getting an aftermarket chip or apexi or emanage, they have nothing to do with each other

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Does anyone have pictures on how to do this... so I may do it. I think with all the beer drinking the instructions call for I might get confused.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
i will be gutting my precats in the coming weeks and will be taking pictures. i have never performed this before either, so it's gonna be real fun. so if any gateway neco members would like to either drive to southeast missouri or let me go to them that way i can get some help from experienced people, i would be so gracious.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
cool keep us posted.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Originally posted by: mcon99

(b) gutted pre-cats have never failed emissions (even in Cali. where they are real tough)
In California you don't do emissions testing on your car until it's 4 years old (or was it 6?), so we'd just be hitting Cougars going in for smog check this year. I dunno anyone who has gutted precats who has had to get their car smogged, so we'll have to check on this for the CA folks.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Originally posted by: NorCalCoug
Originally posted by: mcon99

In California you don't do emissions testing on your car until it's 4 years old (or was it 6?), so we'd just be hitting Cougars going in for smog check this year. I dunno anyone who has gutted precats who has had to get their car smogged, so we'll have to check on this for the CA folks.
cougars yes.... 'tours are much older however :)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Originally posted by: NorCalCoug
My buddy is a smog technician, and we tested the car with the tailpipe sniffer after I gutted the pre-cats, and it passed just fine.;)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I gutted mine the beginning of 2002... I have the yo-dude dual's with dynomax, and it sounds awesome. I also noticed a very slight power gain... it took like 3hours, but only $10 (i had a place weld the little hole i drilled back up... So it was $5). I made the MIL eliminators the next day (took about 3 days for the check engine light to come on.), cut the wires on the O2 sensor, soldered those wires to the MIL board, heatshrinked it, put it back on the car, No CEL for 8+ mo's... I think for $10, and 4hrs it was welllll worth it!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts