New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The girl who owned my car before me just really sucked at taking car of it and had dirt on it and I guess she waxed over it many a time, it is mainly on the front fenders. Will not come off no matter how hard I scrub! I heard that pressure washers do tons of harm, this true?

·
Administrator
11,556 Posts
I would wash the car twice in regular, non scented liquid Palm Olive dish washer liquid. This will remove any old waxes & whatever she's used on the paint. After that wash the car with some Meguiar's Gold Class car wash.

I recommend Meguiar's products for the following:

Go out & buy a couple QuickDetailer kits w/Claybars. This is where you must clean as if you've never cleaned before! Carefully follow the directions and keep kneeding the bar so it doesn't get too dirty on one side (pulling it apart & squishing it helps). If you find that it's almost to the point of dark brown or black all way through, use a new bar. This is going to clean off any dirt, road gunk, bugs, tree sap & what have you from the paint. Really soak the section down & let the bar conform to the cars lines. You know you've cleaned it good when the surface feels like glass.

After you've done this, and it will take a couple hours. Use some Step 1 Paint cleaner. This does what it says and does it well. Next, and it's up to you, use some swirl & stratch remover since the previous owner probably waxed the sand right into it. Depending on how bad it is it should help a little. Next we use Step 2 Polish. This will give the paint a nice deep, wet look when you apply the wax. Which brings us to that #26 Paste. Do that and it should look almost new. If you want, use the Liquid Gold Wax to give it an extra deep shine. Unless she's really f'd it up, then you can either take it to a detailer & have them try it or it may need to be repainted.

Set aside an entire day for this. Seriously. Wake up at 7 or 8am when it's cool out (since your in Delaware now it'll be freezing. I'd wait till Spring for this), and do all this in the shade or a garage. I don't have that luxury so I wash it early & drive to a nearby park to wax & stuff. You'll be done by late evening and have Popeye arms.

If you wanna spend the money, I hear good things about Zaino's brand of car care stuff. You have to order it from their site tho.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot John!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I agree with John about the claybar, that is the best way to go to remove stubborn paint stains. Good product recommendations also.

But if I may, I suggest that you only wash the car once prior to claying. Doing it 3 times is really only creating extra work for yourself, especially since your following it up with clay, which cleans your paint better than anything. If you are using dish soap, that should take everything off with one wash since its much stronger than car wash soaps.

Definitely set aside enough time for all this, and make sure you do get a coat of wax on there before you're done. The dish soap and claybar will remove everything on your paint, including any protection. Always be prepared to wax after claying.

·
Administrator
11,556 Posts
I only recommended 2 passes w/the dish soap in the event that this girl did some serious havoc in all the waxing. The 2nd pass would be a quickie to just make sure you got the whole car. Washing it w/the Meguiar's Gold Class sets the base w/the additives that it provides. And it washes off any dish soap residue.

I do this process twice a year. One for Spring & one just before Fall. Aside from the typical chipping on the front end from 68k miles you wouldn't know the car was going on 5 years old....holy sheat...I've had this for almost 5 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts