New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plain and simple, I just want to know if it is ABSOLUTELY necessary to calibrate your needles after changing your faces. I just ordered my faces and I want to have everything ready when they get here and know exactly everything I have to do so I'm not stuck or surprised.

I used the search and found the HOW TO on breaking apart the dash and installing them, now I just want to know how difficult it is to calibrate and if it is necessary. What do I have to do to calibrate them or do I take them to a dealer or something? I always figured since the gauges have that little pin at each gauge it would calibrate but I assume thats not the case.

PS.
Reason I want to do it myself is because I also want to change the LED backlight

·
Registered
865 Posts
calibrating the guages will help a lot for the look... and your driving. to recalibrate the guages find where you can keep a constant speed. you'll have to put the car in diagnostic mode to see the temp, rpm, mph. the only needles I really recalibrated were those, the fuel guage isn't the most neccasary, just do it on a full take of gas and you can redo that one. I don't know the procedure for diagnostic mode on an mtx, maybe james does, pm him.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Same as ATX, while you are driving down the street, hold down Reset and Units, then turn the key as if you were starting your engine. Don't push in the clutch while you do it. The engine will NOT stall out, because holding those two buttons down will disengage the starter anyway.

Then hit Select to scroll through the choices. You will find the speedo and tach digital, so as mentioned above, just place the needles in their correct place while you are set on cruise control. The TACH needle is easy, you can do that stitting still.

·
Registered
865 Posts
yeah, the tach is easy, didn't even need diagnostic mode for that on my atx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts