New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I just picked up on this fact:
Evidently some (if not all) 99 Cougars came with metal mass airflow housings, then they changed to black plasitc.
Now...if I could find one...could I swap out my black plastic one with one if the metal ones without too much of a problem?

If that answer is yes...then where would be a good place to get one of the metal housings?

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
The 99 MAF will fit your 00 without a problem.

I did find some on CarPart.com from 100-25 bucks. It wouldnt matter if the MAF actually functioned, as you could easily swap over your current sensor.

I can see the OE maf conducting alot of heat on a stock or shortram setup, I remember it being burning hot. However with a CAI the Maf is quite cool to the touch.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Yes, with a big IF:

The metal/plastic MAF you swap out must be from the same type of fuel system- Return or returnless. For the very reasons JScullin mentioned, I threw a plastic MAF from an '00 into my return-style '99, and I got CELs all over the joint. From what I understand, there are different calibration settings between return and returnless. I believe that the metal MAFs were for return style, and they went to plastic for the returnless systems. Probably another reason is so the assemblers at the plant knew which MAF to put in based on fuel system type.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Hence why I said to swap the sensor into your 'new' housing. The housings themselves are no different in design...only materials. Swapping the sensor would obviously be a 100% fool proof way of changing the look of your MAF

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Originally posted by: ov3n
and plastic was probably also cheaper to make. :)
stup!d F0rd 4lw4ys try!ng to m4k3 th!ngs ch34p3r 4nd ch4rg3 m0r3!

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
in this case cheaper was better and looks better.

However one cannot Polished a plastic MAF:biggrin:

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
This is the best image I could find which shows the MAF in its stock form. I should be getting my car back soon and Will be tearing that sucker off to do some polishing.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or instead of working that hard...you could just trade me and I'll do all the hard work polishing it :)

J/k

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
hey Kenny.. why did you flip your MAF to the side like that? didn't want the plug in on top like it should be? I have a metal MAF as well.. everyone always comments on it when they see it like its magical or something compared to theirs.. heh!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Originally posted by:Crispy
hey Kenny.. why did you flip your MAF to the side like that? didn't want the plug in on top like it should be?
Airflow, after the air makes turns the bend from the CAI it hits the sensor, and with the MAF turned this way the air will flow better into the TB....or at least that's what Kenny told me when I asked him about it. First time I saw his CAI (a little less than a year ago) I asked the same thing, and that was more or less his response. I have yet to turn my MAF, I'm lazy.

Z (jason)

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
well hell I will turn my MAF as soon as my MAF adaptor arrives... then its time for me to test ride the cat and let everyone know my thoughts on the CAI system...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts