New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
machanical idoit here, with some questions concerning different exhaust kits

1) what's the difference between alluminium or stainless steel kits? I'd assume the the steel ones last longer, but was wondering if the offer better performace gains, given their much higher prices.

2) Is there a performance difference between the borla cat-back and the weapon-r exhaust kits? I found some numbers on the borla, but haven't found any on the weapon-r kit.

·
Registered
335 Posts
here are some answers for ya:

1) The reason why stainless steel is more expensive than aluminzed is simply because it will last for such a long time. I can't think of any reason why there would be a performance difference between the two though. Another reason why the cat-back from Borla is so much is because of their name, the quality of product associated with that name, and because they offer a million-mile warranty on all of their exhausts.

2)As for performance differences between the Borla and the Weapon-R setup, I'm not quite sure. I had the Borla exhaust on my car, and I think I can say it's the nicest exhaust we have available for our cars. I can't really speak for the Weapon-R kit.

All in all, it comes down to a couple of things, do you want to put forward the money to get the best (my opinion, at least) out there, or do you want to save some money and get one that isn't stainless, but probably shares the same performance gains. Also it depends on how you want your car to sound. I haven't heard the Weapon-R setup, but when I think of Weapon-R, I think rice. Correct me if I'm wrong. I love the way the Borla sounds, quiet at idle, but sounds freakin' mean at WOT. Hope I could be of some help.

-Eric

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, that's about what I thought, just wanted confirmation

from what I read, the weapon-r kit is louder than other kits, but has sliencers to make it back down.

I'm probably gonna get a borla duel kit

G

·
i do have a weapon R g1 series cat back from trubendz. Its not the regular 2.5 inch i had them make me a 3 inch and yes it sounds awesome on my car. It doesnt exactly sound like a rice its more of a meaner roar than anything. The borla and flowmaster exhaust systems make your car sound like a mustang or a camaro which i think mustangs suck so i didnt want mine to sound like that.

Exhaust sound is a personal thing so if you like classic muscle sound by borla or flowmaster. If you like new age domestic buy weapon r.

I had my car dynod with just the weapon R cat back and got 11 hp out of it which i thought was damn good next im getting the headers from msds.

Trubendz has audio of the flowmaster to download on there site trubendz.com

One last thing why does everyone hate rice if it wasnt for them there wouldnt be any import or domestic shows to go to and almost 60 % of them at those shows would blow are cougars away

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Originally posted by: rlh134

One last thing why does everyone hate rice if it wasnt for them there wouldnt be any import or domestic shows to go to and almost 60 % of them at those shows would blow are cougars away
hating rice doesnt mean hating imports. are u saying that a honda civic si wuth a type r badge, an injen intake sticker with a stock air filter, tinted windows with bubbles and apc window banner is good for the industry. i dont believe so. also to say that a cougar would get blown away by this is just ridiculous. Rice is basically a car trying to be a racer. wearing badges that dont exist in the car, wearing sponser stickers that really arent sponsers is really just a lie. if a judge was to notice this i can gaurentee a stock cougar would beat it. what is meant by a ricer sounding exhaust is that, he doesnt want an exhaust that sounds like u picked up a 3 dollar exhaust tip and threw it on your car. they want something with a good sound to it. everybody can blow a trumpet, but with out the right mouth peice, ull never get a good sound. without rice, shows would simply be better, alot of cars at shows do not want to be embarressed so most dont show up. watching a guy with a sparco sticker on his fender show a judge his stock seats and apc shift knob will only result in a bad score....

G

·
well this is true there are alot of hondas and more out there that act like idiots and give the whole seen a bad name.

mainly the ones that drive like aholes and almost kill other people or almost wreck just so they can catch you and then lose

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I believe the whole 'rice' sound we're all familiar with comes from Honda's small combustion chamber size / flow design and the $40 autozone empty fartcan amplifier tips at the end. We have a smoother more aggressive sounding engine from the get-go... The Weapon-R exhaust sounds really good (like a mustang that's missing 2 cylinders) but its a little loud for my "preppy rich boy" residential area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts