New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well besides the CC one being much cheaper, are there quality, performance, size differences?

Thanks,

Gus.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
if i can find my spare shift lever, paypal me $20 and ill straighten it, cut it down as short as you want, dye new threads onto it and ship it to you.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That could work, but does anyone have the answer to my question???

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
I bought a similar Short shifter compared to CustomCougar's from Ebay for $30 (OBX) ... the problem with it is that the welds are weaker. I've gone through 2 already. Maybe I shift too hard, but twice when I went to throw it into second, the ball broke at the bottom that holds one of the cables.. Both were the cheapie shifter.. I still have another cheapie, but it's been lasting for a while now.

Althought I've heard of One B&M owner having the same problems, I've heard of quite a few that have had the cheaper one break.

Other than that, the design is basically the same. the Obx one I bought off of ebay even had the reverse lock out and ford shift knob.. not bad for $30..

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just got my cc.com shifter and it seems of good quality. im gonna install it tomorrow after school.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I suggested cutting the stock one because the CC.com B&M and OBX short shifters lack the design which True short shifters share (well at least for cougar/contour/foci). To be a true short shifter, the shift lever should be at the same height as stock to the driver, but require much less travel to switch between gears. That would necessitate the linkage be further away from the pivot point which would increase the amount of travel per input. The CC.com and OBX and B&M ones just have a shorter lever, and its not really even that much shorter. I believe the B&M is 1.5" shorter, and the distance from pivot to linkage is the same as stock. I cut mine 2.5" down and would probably enjoy it shortened another inch. I dont believe all the bumps and ridges on the CC OBX and B&M serve any purpose other than to make it look like more went into them than lathing up a piece of aluminum thats an inch shorter than stock. The stock lever has none of those ridges. The reverse lock-out wont work past 2", though... Theres a plastic sleeve under the boot that you'd have to either modify to work or remove altogether... i just removed mine. Its impossible - well not IMPOSSIBLE but Very difficult to 'oops shift' into reverse without it there. I guess for $40 its worth it to some to get the CC or OBX, but i first tried 1.5" and was dissapointed

·
Registered
145 Posts
Im not sure Neil, but I got the CC.com short shifter, and it's quite a bit difference in shift times. Atleast for me. It seems about 2 inche's short im not so sure on it exactly. But I like it better now. The only weird thing is when im in First, third, and fifth, cuz there is no more slant back on the stick the shift knob is forward quite a bit, but you get used to it. plus you don't usually sit in first or third, and i do most intown driving and dont' hold my stick in fifth. so i haevn't seen any real reason to be dissapointed.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Cool, I dont mean to sound like im trying to put them down. You said youre pleased with yours and thats really all that matters. I was surprised how 'not foreward enough' 1st 3rd and 5th were when i cut and straightened mine. i wonder how itd be with the lever bent, as the original?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
i too got a similar one to cc off of ebay. my top ball broke. the website claimed it wouldnt break under any circumstances. it broke, and their company no longer exists on ebay. im gonna try one from james, atleast if something goes wrong i know how to get ahold of him. maybe ill take it down the street and get another weld thrown on too.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
i got my cc.com one, installed it on the 31st, and it's been workin great for me. i ran hard through the gears with it a few times and the only problem i had was occasionally hitting the disc # on my changer, but otherwise its awesome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts