New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speed on the needle is working normally, when driving shows as I think the correct speed, when stop it drops down on 0, but the digital numbers speed is with big difference, for example if I drive 60 it shows 40, also when stop it never shows 0, always different numbers as 15, 25, 27...

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
Manual transaxle? Automatic transaxle? 4-cylinder? 6 cylinder? Model year? Anything?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Manual, 1999, 4 cylinder. It is 2.0 but when I bought it, the engine was replaced, it is 1.8 zetec petrol.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
The trip computer gets its information directly from the cluster, so you must have either a bad trip computer or a bad connection between the cluster and the trip computer.
Or maybe a weak ground for the trip computer?

·
8,528 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Digital speed?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Rather than be cryptic, there is a diagnostic mode you can put the dash into which will allow you to see digital vehicle speed and coolant temperature on the dash digital display. I've never actually done it, so I don't know how though.

·
Administrator
11,528 Posts
Diagnostic mode

As someone who's been doing a lot of deep dives on the forum to search for issues I'm frustrated by the amount of threads 10 years ago that say to search and they start to outnumber the actual helpful thread.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
The whole "It's been answered a million times, do some research" thing came up and worked back in the mid 2000's when the same question was being asked 8 times a week, but now that the entire forum gets like 8 posts a week and all the actual answers are buried under 15 years of "search it up, it's been answered before" posts it's actually quite annoying. Especially since the How-To section is kinda useless with all the dead links.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The whole "It's been answered a million times, do some research" thing came up and worked back in the mid 2000's when the same question was being asked 8 times a week, but now that the entire forum gets like 8 posts a week and all the actual answers are buried under 15 years of "search it up, it's been answered before" posts it's actually quite annoying. Especially since the How-To section is kinda useless with all the dead links.
Hey, there is still hope. Our Euro Neco Page has the diag mode thread still available. I translated it via Google into english:

While the car is off, press “Units” & “Reset”.
Start the car. The pointers (speedometer & tachometer) deflect and return to 0.
Release the “Reset” switch, then release the “Units” switch.
Now Press "Select" to switch through the various diagnostic modes (speed, speed, battery voltage, etc.).
With "Units" you switch between standard (miles) and metric units.
Press the "Reset" switch to return to normal Switch mode.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I agree with all of these points.
Its just a different environment than it was ten years ago. People do most of their searching on mobile and these forums aren't great for that.
On a desktop you can quickly identify the site structure and see how to explore and find things but on a phone...not so much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts