New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within the past week, I purchased a '99 Mercury Cougar V6 in very, very nice shape, and I absolutely love the car. The only little annoyance I've encountered thus is with the low coolant light always seeming to come on, but from what I understand, it seems to be a very common problem with these cars, so it doesn't really worry me.

Before I purchased the vehicle, the dealership said that the vehicle was up on the lifts earlier in the day having the brake rotors replaced. The brakes on my car seem fine, except if I'm slowing down from a higher speed -- let's say 50 MPH or higher -- and I press the brake pedal firmly, the pedal pulsates until the car slows down some more and/or I lighten up on the pedal.

My question is, do you think that the dealership I bought the car from truly replaced the rotors? Is it common for rotors to have to go through some sort of break-in period where pulsation still might persist for a while? I'm still under the state-mandated warranty and I think I'm going to stop at Quality Care (not the dealership) beforehand to have them assess the situation before I return to the dealership I purchased her from, but I'd just like to know what you think.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Look at the rotor. If it is new, then the center of the rotor and the outer edges will be nice and shiney.

If the coolant light persists, cut the two wires leading to it and splice them together.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
You didn't romp on the rotors right after having them replaced by chance did you? If you did you may have warped them.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Originally posted by: ignernt
You didn't romp on the rotors right after having them replaced by chance did you? If you did you may have warped them.
VERY true. Also, during the first 100 miles or so, you want to be extra careful of heating the rotors up (driving), then sitting at a light for an extended period with your foot on the brake....or hitting standing water. During the rotor break in period, the rotor is not "cured" if you will, and is extra sensitive to warpage...is warpage even a word?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by: ignernt
If anything, I've actually babied her since I've owned her; I purchased her last weekend. Like I said, the dealership claimed to have replaced the rotors a couple days before I took delivery of the car. I'm going to try to get down to QualityCare on Saturday and have the brakes checked out, and if need be, I'll return to the [non-Ford-Lincoln-Mercury] dealership I purchased her from to have the problem resolved while I'm still under my state 60-day/3,000-mile warranty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by: Fett
If the coolant light persists, cut the two wires leading to it and splice them together.
What would happen if I just unplugged the connector?

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
If you disconnect the harness then the circuit is broken and the light will go on. The antifreeze completes the circuit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damnit. :banghead: I wish they made some sort of little "coolant level sensor bypass" thing for this car to accomplish basically the same thing as you do by splicing the wires together. I'm just so paranoid that I'd end up screwing something up royally trying to do that. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I'm just going to try to top it off and see what happens. The thing that's so annoying about this problem is that I park on the street in front of my house facing uphill (and can't park on the opposite side of the street), so when I wake up in the morning for work and set out for my 60+ minute commute, that damn coolant light is on and it stays on alllll the way to work. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by: BillDawg
I think I'm just going to try to top it off and see what happens. The thing that's so annoying about this problem is that I park on the street in front of my house facing uphill (and can't park on the opposite side of the street), so when I wake up in the morning for work and set out for my 60+ minute commute, that damn coolant light is on and it stays on alllll the way to work. :(
I topped off the coolant with some Poland Spring last night, and that coolant light hasn't been back yet, so far anyway, knock on wood. :poke:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts