New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are supposed to be some top of the line spark plugs. They claimed about a 5.4 HP gain on a stock VR6. That does seem a bit much, but everyone I know that got these plugs did notice a bit more on the performance side. Every little bit helps, right?!

Yes, of course they don't have anything for the Cougar, but they do have it for the Contour. Two questions:
1. Is the Cougars plug gap the same as the 2.5L Contour? (they show it as 0.054)
2. Is it necessary to upgrade the ignition wires to use these types of plugs?

Here's the link for the site:
www.iridiumpower.com

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
i beleive after 98 both engies were the same up until 2001 so the contour plugs should work

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I used the Denso Iridium plugs on my probe...probably the smoothest Idle I ever had after that. Good wires are important too, but those were great plugs. But I will say...Spark plugs DO NOT MAKE any hp. They can regain lost HP due to bad plugs, but they can't make power by themselves. When people say a car gained 5 hp from the plugs, that car probably had plugs with 60K mi. on it and they were warped. Then with the new plugs it gained back the 5hp it lost. I will say if they put standard OEM plugs back in, then maybe 3-4hp would have been recovered, since the car reacts better to the iridium plugs, but the Iridium plugs don't make power. Though I'd recommend them to everyone and anyone.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to double check, are ignition wires required or recommended when using the Denzo spark plugs?

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Do you mean aftermarket wires? Cause of course you need wires ;) But I always change my plugs and wires at the same time, unless one of the two goes really early. The Ford Motorsport 9mm wores are like $55 (I think). I know nothing of them, but I assume they aren;t that bad. My recommendation, is if you put in expensive definitely great plugs like that, then get a good set of wires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.