New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have heard of someting that is made for automatic transmissions. it allows you to rev up the car to a certain amount before the car kicks into gear, it would be sorta like having a manual transmission.after a certain rmp the car will go into gear. i dont know if this is even true....please help

·
Registered
902 Posts
It would be called neutral. Just put your car in neutral, rev the car up really high, slam it into drive, and watch your transmission fall out. Besides, why would you want to do that in an automatic ne how?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
A high stall torque converter will do that. To bad drivablilty suffers. There is no threshold like you get with a clutch. You can let a clutch out easy and apply power steadily. An atx works much diffrent... its gradual... dont get me wrong... but its nearly imposible to have smooth gradual shifts for regular city driving AND a balls out tiresquacking launch and chirp into second gear. There is no shift kit available for our cars to my knowlage... at least not one that changes anything over stock. Transgo makes a rebuild kit that simply returns it to stock or slightly better. The kits with the new screens that involve drilling out holes in your tranny are the ones "everyone" used/uses back in the day. Remember that by the time you take out the tranny to do somthing big like a tourqe converter or a shift kit (if there was one available i think it would be nessasary to drop the tranny to do it... not like on grandads RWD oldsmobile) you could for a little more convert to MTX... If you really want to have good lauches and about a 1.5second lower ET look into a tranny swap... its not as expensive as you might think if you do it yourself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a line lock is a device that "locks" the brakes onto your wheels so you can rev up the engine without the car moving. It has a switch that when pressed will release the brakes allowing the car to take off hard from a stand still. I know a lot of RWD, ATX cars use them for drag racing purposes but I'm not sure if they make a similar application for FWD cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i know what he's talking about i just read about something like that in one of my magazines where the guy actually changed his car to ATX and had it changed to where it takes off at 3500rpm. His car was actually launching better than a performance manual. Expensive though.

Phattcoug99 put your foot on the brake and then rev up to about 2700rpm and then let it go. I do that for launching and it gets rid of that sluggish feeling. or do what dude said where you don't floor it right away and then floor it at about 2000rpm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that would work too, but wehn my car drops into second gear it seems like it boggs out, i hate that, thanks for all the tips everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.