New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, on my 99, the vent for the defroster that runs all the way across the dash, right in front of the windshield has come loose. The ends started to pop up for a while and I would snap them back in, but now the whole thing just sits loose in the hole. Anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it?

I'm betting it's a 40 or 50 dollar item from the dealership.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Steph.'s car did that as well, everytime you fix one side the other side pops up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2000. I took it to the dealer they "ordered" a new vent because I am under warranty. They "installed" it. A week later the thing comes off. Its a dangerous design flaw. If you get in an acident I am sure the 2 foot blade of polywhateverthane that is disguised as a vent grill will come to life, and try to maim and/or kill you (I was in a lowspeed fender bender so it only moved a few inches imagine freeway speed). The problem is A) the ford service dpt lied and took my old vent wedged it in real good, and then put the new one back on the self. B) The 1999-2000 grill is so badly designed that it uses lumps to keep it in place. As the sun heats the vent it warps, and breaks free.

For safety I removed it. I am going to pester ford to keep replacing them until they fix it right or give me a new dash (yeah right)

I am sorry if this sounds like a rant, but it ticks me off when the sterotype of trim falling off domestics as soon as you drive them off the lot is still true. Imagine if you are one of those poor guys that paid 28k for a new Roushe back in the day.

XQsThaiPoes me angry!

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
it just needs to be centered and lined up completely... I've known people with a vent that would never stay put.. I pulled the whole thing out and just made sure that it was 100% centered... they never had a problem again... some of the people in the factory won't take their time with that vent...

warping would never be the issue.. just look at the sides.. I am willing to bet you that one side has a gap and the other does not.. just pull it completely out and make sure both sides are the same.. there is only an indent big enough for the piece sitting center..

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
mine did this as well. even after lining up, and pushing back down in, it would pop up every time i turned it on the 4 (full blast). so what i've been told to do is just super glue it in there, and it will stay. theres really no reason it needs to me able to be removed, so i wouldnt worry about the permanany factor. hope that helps.

edit. and crispy, yes, sometimes both sides of mine pop up. i push them back down, untill they snap, but they come up again next time i turn my defroster on full. so they just need to be glued. i know johnnyred has super glued his in place and they stay and work fine now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm having this problem as well. So i just took it out and i'll probably just glue it back in place!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Seems to be a common problem. The driver side of mine continually pops up and rattles a little. I just mash it back into place every week or so.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Originally posted by: mindtrip1016
Seems to be a common problem. The driver side of mine continually pops up and rattles a little. I just mash it back into place every week or so.
That's exactly what I do. Doesn't really bother me all that much.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
i'm sure you could just put about 1/4" of 3M tape on both sides of the vent to hold it down..

Mike

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I've just got used to having it popped up...:confused:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whoa, I forgot about this thread for and figured it would be dead. That sucks that it is so wide spread. I originally started pushing the corners back down - that will work for a while, but if mine is any way to judge, another solution will be need eventually.

I will try realigning it - hopefully Crispy is right, since she's a little far for me to swing by. If not - tiem for glue, I can't get used to it.

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
i'm sure you could just put about 1/4" of 3M tape on both sides of the vent to hold it down..

Mike

I'd do this because super glue can be messy, I believe either everyone gets used to it and just blows it off *not a big deal* or just take it out compleatly. You can't tell a difference from inside or out if it's removed and my defroster works just fine with out it

·
Registered
656 Posts
I found that mine stays in during the summer months, but pops out when it's cold. The other day I went out to the car in the morning. It was -12, and the vent was basically jst sitting there. The problem with taking it right out is that the air just flows out the center, and without the vent, you get no airflow to the sides of the windshield. This is a serious problem when you've got a quarter inch of ice on your windshield.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts