New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, gotta question. When I drive my cougar for about 5-10 minutes sometimes, I lay into it and all I get is a really loud intake sound. The car's speed slowly increases as well as the rpm's. Only when I turn off the car,wait a few minutes and turn it back on it stops. But later on it will do it again. I have even tried to re-set the puter and it helps, but it still does it. The dealership dosen't know whats up. Any suggestions? Thanks everyone!

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,714 Posts
Automatic or 5-speed?

Sounds like clutch or transmission problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a Automatic. The car shifts fine when it does this with or without overdrive on. But the second it does it, I usually pull over, turn the car off, wait a few seconds to a few minutes, and turn it back on. Then the problem is gone....for a while atleast. When it does it though, I don't get a check engine soon light or anything like that. Sounds wierd huh?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Sounds like an IMRC problem.. stuck closed most likely. Mine made an obvious sound difference when the were closed.. very deap and the car went nowhere.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
EGR valve- Normal operation, from the sound of it. When the car is cold, the computer operates in "open loop" condition- It opens the EGR valve to de-richen the combustion chamber mixture to a) cut down on cold emissions, and b) warm up the engine faster.

Now- The EGR valve is basically an open path to your exhaust manifold. There's your loud sound. When the engine warms up and switches to "closed loop", the computer shuts the EGR valve for the most part.

When you shut down the car, the computer resets the runtime state. So, when you start the car again, the computer runs in "open loop" condition for a while until it can register that you're warmed up again.

This should be normal operating. Keep in mind you should NEVER attempt hard acceleration until the engine reaches operating temperature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts