New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I have a 99 ATX and when gets cold out and only when its cold when I first start it it will make a deep toned drone noise for like a minute sometimes more then it will stop, when this first started to happen last winter I thought it was that I had a dirty air filter but I changed it and it still did it and it would even do it sometimes when I was driving basically when I turned the wheel and thought it was my power steering but it wasnt and have had no problems with the fuel pump or alt or anything then it stopped when it started getting warmer out and hasnt done it all year till the other day when it started getting cold again...I live in Maine so when its cold its cold but I just cant think of anything else that it could be so any help if any would be great:shrug:

Jess:wave:

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
it's your idler air control valve. and the sound you are hearing is what people here call the 'moosing' sound.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
try running a search for "moose" or "moosing" in the Canadian forums (Eastern Canada NECO, Toronto Cougar Club) for more info.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx I'll look for more info on it......shouldnt be too hard to do myself.......and another thing I was thinkin also that when I bought the car in mar 02 it didnt do it but after I got in my accident last august and got the car back in Nov it started to do it.........could that have made it happen? i mean there was 6900 worth of damage to the front(no frame damage surprizingly) could they have known and not fixed it? in any case I get my license back in 20 days after 4 months of waiting to drive and have time to fix it before then and maybe actually drive the car b4 it snows and its put up

·
Registered
593 Posts
Every winter it seems to do it. Right around this time of the year is when you start to hear it. Someone said it was more due to it being cold than anything else, makes sense since after the car warms up you don't get the moosing anymore.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i had that problem and it was power steering
you say it isnt but how do you know

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have already checked the power steering and there is nothing wrong with it

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,715 Posts
Somebody posted a perfect video of a moosing car. It was in the batch of videos from the German Cougar meet. It sounds like a fog-horn. Like someone blowing across the top of a beer bottle. Check the Vids/Pics forum, and look at those. If your car sounds like that, you need a new IACV.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,715 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
Somebody posted a perfect video of a moosing car. It was in the batch of videos from the German Cougar meet. It sounds like a fog-horn. Like someone blowing across the top of a beer bottle. Check the Vids/Pics forum, and look at those. If your car sounds like that, you need a new IACV.
edit: Never mind, found it: 3.1 MB, for you dialuppers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts