New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in all of my years of checking date of manufacturer on any car in the US, they have always been MM/DD/YYYY. Is the cougar DD/MM/YYYY since it was basically european built? I had to buy a timing belt kit, and I bought the after 3/99 kit since it said 06/03/1999, but after tearing the car apart, it is obvious it has the bigger idler pulley, which would have been before 3/1999.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Its possible. Half the cars didnt follow the date code process. Always best to compare the old part with the new ESPECIALLY for a 99

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its possible. Half the cars didnt follow the date code process. Always best to compare the old part with the new ESPECIALLY for a 99
Luckily I didn't open the package and actually read the instructions that said to compare the pulley first. 😂. It just sucks as now I'll have to wait till Wednesday for the other kit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, here is another question then. Where is the date stamp on the engine at? I am curious now, after looking at car-part.com if the engine has been changed, or if someone put the wrong timing set in it, since I bought it with 150k on it and looking at other cars door stickers, it appears that it was in fact built 6/3/99.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I think its on the sticker on the valve cover.

·
Registered
334 Posts
So, here is another question then. Where is the date stamp on the engine at? I am curious now, after looking at car-part.com if the engine has been changed, or if someone put the wrong timing set in it, since I bought it with 150k on it and looking at other cars door stickers, it appears that it was in fact built 6/3/99.
Car could have been built then but the motor might have been before. Depending on which country your in. 99’s are the ones that have different parts on them over the coarse of 98-99. Yes 99’s we’re built in early 98 and still considered 99’s. Since you have a 2.0 it could have been sitting awhile before they put it into a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Car could have been built then but the motor might have been before. Depending on which country your in. 99’s are the ones that have different parts on them over the coarse of 98-99. Yes 99’s we’re built in early 98 and still considered 99’s. Since you have a 2.0 it could have been sitting awhile before they put it into a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I am beginning to wonder, though yesterday I found that the top timing belt cover has 5/3/99 stamped on it, so I am not sure what to think.

·
Registered
1999 Cougar V6 MTX
23 Posts
It's also possible the engine was swapped out at some point if you're not the original owner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts