New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have tried to take my dash apart a couple of times now, but I just can't seem to get my stock stereo to come loose. I have the little removal tool, and I insert it into the little holes, push it all the way in, but when I go to pull it out like the instructions say, I can't get it to work. I can pull pretty hard, but eventually the tool just pops out and the stereo stays put. I'd appreciate some help/tips/whatever.

·
Registered
430 Posts
do you really care about your stock radio, PM if you dont i'll let ya know what i did, lol, it works though.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
i have done this a bunch of times. you need 2 of the pitch fork lookin like tool. you put them into the holes on the side of the radio. push them in all the way and you should feel them lock. once this happens you should wiggle it out left and right. if this isnt working try slightly pushing the pins away from each other once they are inside the holes. but it should come out no problem.

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the tools at Sears in the audio department. They were like $5 there. I haven't tried to wiggle it out, I pretty much pulled the pins away from each other while pulling straight out. I'll try again this afternoon. A new stereo is not in my budget yet, so I don't want to destroy this one while getting it out.

S

·
0 Posts
yeah, i tried too.... after to many times.... the little clips can be bent out of shape.... and you will never get the radio out ,,unless. you don't plan on keeping it... and pry it out..

but if you are trying to put rca adapter on the specaker wires, so that you can hook up an amp..(( as i was )) you should try to go through the rear speacker... as close to the speaker as you can.... that way you don't have to touch the deck....

you'll have to pry back the interior paneling so that you can get to the speaker wires... ((( and it's not hard at all))

·
Registered
122 Posts
Went to my local steroe shop in town purchased the tool and asked him to give me a hand for a sec and he pulled the radio out first try...:biggrin:

C

·
0 Posts
I recently tried to pull out my head unit for only the 3rd time to find out that one of the brackets had been bent out of shape and was told it was in there for good. I still tried to take it out and succeeded after 6 hours of work. I had to remove the glove box and the lower panels on the passenger side to access the back, and then used a tiny flashlight and a long skinny screw driver to reach in and depress the clip that way. I tried it many different ways (including using a dremel with a flex-shaft attachment to try to cut the bracket off) before i succeeded that way. After it came out, the bracket was trashed and had to be pitched, but the bracket on the left side was still good and could hold the stereo in by itself. One more tip, If this happens to you, don't try to pry the head unit out from the front. The front cover is attached to flimsy sheet metal that will bend well before the brackets give.

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally broke down an had my dealer do it when I brought my car in for maintenance. After I watched the tech pull it out I felt like a retard cuz it was so easy. I've taken it out a couple of other times now with absolutely no problems, it turns out I was pushing them in too far, and the tools weren't catching on the clips properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts