New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i don't wanna screw up my dash and i checked for this topic on what iam asking and didnt find anything soo here i am. All iam wonderinf is why u repaint / mod the dash. The dash has a texture on it and i want a smooth finish iam thinking a silver with a clear coat finish. But i dont know what kind of paint to use i know the color but is there a spacfic type of pain to use and, should i do a 800Grit wetsand -> prime -> 800Grit wetsand -> Base Coat -> 800Grit wetsand -> Clear Coat or what steps should be taken for best results ??? Any help would be great thanks :D:D

Cody W.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
well first off, do you want to keep the rough texture or make it smooth? If you want it some, apply some light body filler to it and sand that down smooth. Apply a primer and sand or wetsand that with a fine grit paper. Maybe do 2 coats and sand some more. Then apply a base coat or two, and a clear coat. I do not think that you would want to sand your base coat

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea lol sand base coat whats the point of the base coat then LOL!!! ne ways yea thanks man ive been thinking it over a bit and dont know how to make it smooth eather to spend like 5 hrs sanding the console or fill it with something but yea thanks and ne prefrence on paint... Oil Based .....

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
smooth finish on the dash? hope you dont use this as a daily driver....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was Planning on it why ? i know it will give a glare but iam not going up that high to effect the driving.... well iam still debating on a color for up higher right now iam talking about the hvac and the headlight and the center console beside the seats at the moment

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
ahh .. you were talking about smoothing it out, those pieces are relatively smooth. Therefor I assumed you meant the textured upper dash and cowl.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Iam planning on Smoothing out the Upper Dash and Cowl but it will be in a daker color soo the relection isnt bad also in a low gloss clear coat something more along the lines of if ur a painter an eggshell LOL!!! ne who dunno what shade/color yet but thats down the road still modding the pices and painting them and converting LEDS to Blue Theem is Silver/Blue/Grey(99 cougar passinger airbag cover and dash area) i think it will turn out awsome but all i know is iam impaceint to see it done but i want it done good soo iam doing little by little or ill end up rusing and screwing it all up !!!!!

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
ok its late but .... gloss not glose, eggshell is a color, and i think what you want to say is a Satin finish or Matte finish.

anyway good luck post some pics when your done or even half done. Should look nice.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually in canada Satin/matt finish is Eggshell its a finish style as well as a color. There is only ONE compnay that uses Satin Finsh and that is Moores Paints, Everyother company in canada uses Eggshell. and yes when its late i do have typos sorry about that

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
ahh its ok didnt know you lived in the 3rd world :) jk

used to work in photograhpy... used to get boxes of paper that would say Matte, Matt, or Mat ... wish the world would make up its mind sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
22,403 Posts
well to answer the base coat sanding question you want to sand it because then the top coat will go on smoother and require less coats/less sanding. No matter if you use a gloss or satin/eggshell finish it will reflect in the right lighting angle. true the color will make a bit of a difference but it will still reflect. Only thing i could say to do is not to wetsand the top coat. This will live a bit of a felt texture but not too visual. It wont reflect as much because the surface wont be as reflective because of the tiny texture

·
Registered
998 Posts
click here for plastic prep

Crispy also had a more detailed how to a while ago, so I will PM 01blkcat & crispy to see if they will put it in the how to section.

Here are some pics of mine click here

if you were talking about painting the actual dash, I have heard many complaints about its annoyance with reflectiveness. However, I would also be interested in seeing a how to created, because I was always afraid (because of the spongyness) that if you painted it and let it cure, when you pushed on it it would crack. The option I was thinking of was vynal paint.

Brian

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
ive painted my dash 2 times now and everytime after aprox 6 months it bubbles at 1 spot....ive done all the proper prep work.
any ideas why?

·
Registered
998 Posts
You might have some excess oil built up in the plastic from when they made it. try to sand it down to the plastic, clean it with with some good cleaner, and let it dry (repeat a couple of times), then use plastic primer. Paint. Thin coats. you probably want to do this over several days. Don't sand too smooth or it may not adhear as well. I can't recall what grit. Also you may want to use gloves so the oil from you fingers doesn't go into the plastic.

Brian

·
Registered
388 Posts
talking to a few friends you do paint and body work for a living about how best to prep plastic and they all pretty much said to use ajax and a little pit of water and make sure to rub it in real well and rinse really well and let it dry and it tens to get rid of all the oil on the plastic

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Smooth:
Clean pieces to remove oils and dirt -> Krylon fusion -> wetsand -> Kyrlon fusion -> clear coat -> DONE

Textured:
Clean pieces to remove oils and dirt -> Krylon fusion -> clear coat -> DONE

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.