New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been haveing problems with the vinyl strip on the rear window coming off. The dealership replaced it 2 times and it is still coming off. So I took it to a different dealership and I told them my problem and he said he would call up a guy at a glass place to install it, something about you just can't glue it on the window, they actually have to take off the window, then put it on. So I took it up to this glass place and the guy said that he only open like 9-10 on saturday, so it was about ten o'clock when I got there and he said that he could not do it because he was dealing with to many other cars at the time. So that pissed me off that I had to go to a place about 45 mins away from my house and they can't even do anything about it. Has anybody else had this problem, if so did the Mercury dealer fix it with no problem. It looks really tacky falling of while driving on my brand new car. I am just about to call up Ford/Mercury and tell them that they need to do something or I want another damn car.

Thanks for the responses
Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yeah I have been having that problem too. Everytime i wash my car i end up draging the towel over it and pulling it off even more. I usually just push it back and ignore it but I should do something about it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't had any probs with that, but I have had problems with that strip above the doors on the roof. They're only held on with a few pieces of double-sided tape from the factory. I have to glue the driver's side down this weekend. Last carwash broke the tape loose

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will be the third time today for the weather stripping. They are calling a glass guy in to take care of the problem. They keep doing it for free, so it doesn't matter to me. Just tired of paying for a car that has been in the shop so much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, mine comes off too when I am washing the car. I just push it back on. I will probably dab a few drops of silicone on it to make it stay.

-Chad

·
Registered
731 Posts
yea mine wasnt attached when i bought the car i took it in 6+ times and the dealer decided i just have to live with it but now that you guys say a glass shop has to take the window off i think ill go back. maybe they should recall this HA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mines been like that since I bought the car. I just push it back on, but it drives me nuts!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I dunno what tha vinyl is you guys r talking about but I have a problem with the strip on the bottom outside of my back window comming loose.. I just push it back on and let it go.. dont take but a sec to do and you cant tell it unless ur up on it so oh well...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the same problem. At first, the L/M dealer where I bought it told me that they would have to replace the entire window! So after I moved, I brought it to a Ford dealer b/c they were much closer to my house. They told me to super glue it. I told them that it's under warranty and that they should do it for me. All they did was apply a little silicone to it and put it back in place. They were a little sloppy with their workmanship and there was some silicone on my rear window after they did it, but it was nothing that I couldn't take off with a glass scraper. No problems since then.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Mine does exactly the same thing when I wash it. It is annoying. Maybe someday I'll find some superglue and glue the dumb thing back in place. In the meantime I just push it back on everytime it starts to pop off the window.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
I had the same exact problem. I did get it fixed at my dealer and it's on there good. Tell your dealer that they have to order a new strip. That's what mine did, the strip comes with some sort of adhesive on it, you can't just put glue on the old strip and expect it to stick--you need a whole new one.

I feel lucky, I first brought it up with my dealer while I was in for a recall, they knew what to do and ordered the part that day and put it on a few weeks later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah my peice of trash did the same thing, so i brought it in and they "fixed" it , more like glued it on crooked and glue all of the strip making it white and all over the freakin window. When i asked them about it they said "nothings perfect" so i ripped the **** off took it to the owner of the dealership and told him if it isnt done right the next time dont bother sending me my next payment notice. Needless to say it was fixed very neatly.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
i can do even better, mine flew off while driving on the highway!! i've had it replaced 3 times....i basically get it done every other oil change. It's such a piss off...not because it's anything super important, but i mean, it's so embarrasing to be driving a new car, and have a piece of plastic flapping on you trunk when you go over 100km/h...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm having the same problem! I thought I was just unlucky, but look at all these posts. What would we have to do to force a recall? I have taken it in three times now. The first time the two ends were coming off they used some adhesive. 2 washings later the center starts coming off. Adhesive again (crappy job I might add). Now they had to order a new strip and I have to go have it fixed this week. I'll let you know how this goes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.