New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is really making my life a big PITA. they wont let Tyson/IBP export anything so all the edible stuff that would have normally been boxed up and sent over seas is now being sent to the rendering department. which means more product that we have to try to process we can barely keep up as it is. and if they find another case of MAD they will prolly cut back to one shift of rendering at the plant and just trash everything except the tallow/grease/fat/lard. and i bet my shift wont be the one shift working. i'm getting realy comfortable with 12 hour days 5-6 days a week. getting cut to 32 hours would be very very bad at this point. sorry this is kinda rambling but i am tired b/c of the 12 hour shifts.

if these 12 hour days keep up i hope to get the cougar paid off early and start the saving for some major mods that i have been wanting.....

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more bad news there is a good chance if this whole mad cow thing gets worse(another cow is found to be infected) they might cut back to 2 shifts.......(layoffs)..................:banghead:

but so far that hasn't happened and i am one of the few that know how to run the area i work in.......so if there are layoffs i hope that my job will be safe.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
they were talking about this on the radio this morning here in Wisconsin.. apparently it has not hurt the demand on beef at all yet.. thats a good sign right?

·
Registered
540 Posts
They haven't found any mad cows in Nebraska, have they?

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no none in nebraska yet. and the word is that the cows may have originated in canada which would be a good thing for the US and a bad thing for canada...

and well it hasn't hurt the meat industry by in us sales but prices for meat has dropped and will prolly drop more which means slaughter houses will be cutting back hours....but at the same time the price of cattle has dropped so tyson is killing a lot of cows and just freezing them. to be cut up later.....

now where i am in the plant is rendering so i deal with the inedible stuff which is where things get weird.... a lot of the weird parts of the cows (intestines and hearts and such) that would normally be sent over seas can not be exported so they send it to us....

so far my hours aren't being hurt any 52 last week and this week looks like 56 if we dont run on saturday if we do then it would be 68....

but if this doesn't clear up soon or if it gets worse plants could get shut down and layoffs could happen. luckly i work at one of the largest meat packing plants in the nation so i dont think we will get shut down...

·
Timmah
3,050 Posts
Good luck man. I know what it is like to work those long hrs. :( , but it all pays off in the end.

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh yeah i hear ya there i love working 12's. especially when my pay check comes around.....i am going to be in a very bad mood when they fill the position i am covering for. then i will be cut back to 8's and just get whatever extra hours i can talk my foremen into giving me....

oh and everyone needs to go out and buy lots of tyson products..........preferable beef....i want to go back to the plant running 6 days a week.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts