New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car started running badly and had diagnostic run on check engine light. Cylinder misfire on 3 and 4. Replaced spark plugs, wires, and coil. Same problem, same codes, down to the number of cylinders. It's my only means of tranportation so i have to drive it a few days b4 i can get a mechanic to check it out. Seems like at times it misses on more cylinders than those 2, but 3 and 4 are the only ones throwing up codes. HELP!!

·
Administrator
24,344 Posts
did you double check the firing order?
3 and 4 are on opposite sides, so that's probably not it unless they are somehow switched on the coil pack.

But for safety's sake, check it:

Firewall side
4-6-5 <--coil pack
3-2-1

1-2-3 <--engine
4-5-6
Radiator side

The other issue could be an injector problem. Have you ever used a good fuel system treatment?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked the firing order. All that is in place. Found that if the wiring harness to the coil pack is moved slightly the skip suddenly disappears. So i used a wire tie to hold the connecter in a spot where it wont move around and so far so good. Looking into getting a new wiring harness but it's not easily available. Has anyone else had this issue? If the problem doesn't come up again I'll look into getting a new harness at a later time but for now it will have to be wire-tied. Thanks for the help!:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts