New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, do I really have to remove the shifter to cut the length of it?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
nothing there in the link?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Give it a day or two and it should work, Angelfire is trying to pull some bull by saying I only have 20MB of space to store files when I have 50MB because I signed up when they gave you 50. I deleted my files down to under 20MB so they should unblock the page.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Cool I just did this. It took about 20 minutes :biggrin:

I took it all apart hacked off about 2 inches, rethreaded it. When I reassembled it I left out the reverse lockout spring and removed the pivoted part of the reverse lockout. Every thing is nice and tidy :)

Thanks for the detailed how to guys :)

G

·
I removed the entire plastic piece (the one on the right in the image) and cut the shifter 1.75". I'll probably cut it down another inch or so. Looks soooo much better without the plastic piece.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Originally posted by: h8beingbored
Originally posted by: Qdog002
Does this also work with ATX knobs?
yeah... i cut mine to a very low position
So you just cut the plastic rod on the inside also along with the outer metal? And just put then new shifter knob on top and screw screws in to keep in place?

·
Registered
334 Posts
So I went to go try this today...but how do you get the shifter off the base? I saw what looked like a locknut at the base, but it would not come loose before the plastic starting giving. I'd really like to have the shifter out of the car to cut it so that I can use my bandsaw to cut it and belt sander to round the tip.

Thanks,
Jonathan Baker

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
The tool or the set is called a Tap and Die set.

Another suggestion for cutting... is using a plastic bag, and poke the shifter shaft through the
bottom of it, and cut inside the bag(I used my dremel) you could also use a milk jug to catch all
the metal... might be tight though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts