New Cougar Forum banner

Cutting 3" hole for CAI

2K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  NascarSigEp 
#1 ·
Okay after weeding through all the crap in the countless CAI threads...I have questions.

What alternatives are there to cutting a 3 inch whole besides "connecting the dots"?

I read in another thread about a bi metal hole saw, what is this and how much?

Is there anything for like 5 bucks that cuts a 3" hole that I could purchase from somewhere?

I'm fitting the GMK extension on my cta intake for my zetec and wanna make it as easy as possible...looks like it'll be a tight fit.

Any recommendations welcome.

#2 ·
Originally posted by: ZetecNinja
Is there anything for like 5 bucks that cuts a 3" hole that I could purchase from somewhere?
i dont think you will find anything for 5 bucks. the bi-metal hole saw bits are about 20 bucks give or take a few dollars.

#3 ·
just drop by your local lowes or home depot and you'll see its around $20 like said before. not a cheap piece of hardware but cleaner looking than the connect the dots deal. you could always see if you can rent it from one of those places but i'm not sure they would.

#7 ·
Agreed, you can really make the connecting the dots look good. Might sound funny but just take tin snips and go around and snip off anything you dont like. I m a perfectionist and I think mine looks fine. Wish I had the holesaw but 20bux for a 1 shot deal is a lil too much for me.

2-3 drill bits would be about 5bux :) I also used some undercoating and clear coat spray to make it not rust. Plus the undercoating acts as a barrier against the CAI.

#8 ·
BTW you should make a 3.5" hole, as the piping is 3" The hole must be large enough to allow some movement.

#11 ·
after trying the 'hole method' I just gave up cuz it took too long and was too difficult. Bought a 3.5" hole saw for around $12 and cut the hole in 30 seconds.

Mike

#14 ·
Yeah, do tell where you found a 3.5" hole saw for that price.

Has anyone found a good weatherstripping to put around the hole to dress it up a little, keep scratches off the CAI, and keep the rust at bay? I haven't looked yet, I figure Lowe's has SOMETHING. But any suggestions before I go would be nice...

#15 ·
i was thinkin about maybe just puttin a coupler around the part of the intake where the hole is, but weather stripping or maybe something like that would prolly look a little cleaner:biggrin:

#17 ·
I just used the supplied coupler as a shroud for the pipe where the hole is. It works well to protect against scratches as well as rubbing through.

#21 ·
like I said in another post about installing the CAI, you should drill a 'guide' hole first where the center of the hole will be, then put the bit with the saw in the hole so it won't go all over the place while you're cutting.

Mike

#22 ·
you can buy marine weatherstripping to go around the hole when you are done to make it look really clean if youd want. That would work well.

#26 ·
I have looked at some of the other CAI posts but haven't seen the location (picture) to drill the 3-3 1/2" hole. I know by the battery tray is the general location, but does someone have a picture of a correctly placed hole? I don't want to drill it in the wrong place and then have to widen it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.