New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My custom turbo project has been delayed until I can modify my turbo manifold (clearence problems with the oil separator/PCV assembly) for an external wastegate. Since the car was all apart, I decided to install the intercooler to save some time later.

It fit really well, almost like it belonged there............... The intercooler is the largest that will fit and still clear the foglights. Only slight modifications were needed to the stock front frame brackets. Two mounting brackets were fabricated to secure the intercooler to the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The level of boost I'm planning on running is between 8 and 12 psi......but that will depend on many variables. The spring rate on the Tial external wastegate will be set for 6 psi and I will control any increase in boost through a Turbo XS manual boost controller.

If things go according to plans (which they seldom do..haha!).......I'll have two tuning maps set-up. One tuning will be set as a daily driver. I'll run around 8 psi boost with 92 octane pump gas. The other tune will be set for the track. I'll run 10 -12 psi boost with race fuel. Keep in mind that these are just estimates at this point. Things will really get dialed in once I get it on a dyno with a wideband O2 monitor.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ahem

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ZetecNinja,

As for being the first to hit 200 fwhp, I think Seawulf has already been there.......done that. My personal goal is 225 fwhp on pump gas or as close to it as I can get. HP numbers are nice, but what I really want is a substantial increase in torque.

Being a daily driven street car, lots of torque over a broad rpm band would make it much more practical...........as well as damn fun to drive.......:biggrin:

·
Banned
4,854 Posts
if u dont mind sayin, how much money do u think u will have in it when its all said and done?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm assuming you're talking about the turbo right?
By the time I'm finished, I should have put in around $2,700.00 which includes the electronics for the engine management. I'm putting it together myself, so I really don't have any labor costs either.

You could do it for much less if you used used parts, but I'm using new parts.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
jjennings 1st cougar was like 220hp iirc :wave:

He's the first on here, but theres an entire group of turbo'd cougars running around not in NECO as well :wiggle:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Starting to get intercooler envy. Your's is at least 3" bigger on each side though we're about the same height. Not sure about thickness though. Even my new WRX intercooler is no bigger than my current Starion one.

Nice, though I'm still not thrilled about using the DIS2 as your sole source of timing retard.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The dimensions of my intercooler is 30" Length X 6" height X 3" depth.......and the inlet/outlet is 2 1/2" in diameter. It has 8 rows and fits very nicely within the lower grill opening (it should get really good airflow), while minimizing the amount of airflow being blocked to the radiator.

As I understand it, for intercooler efficiency, it's better to increase the number of rows rather than increase the length of the rows, but like most things............it's all a matter of compromises. More rows would increase the height of the intercooler which would block a greater amount of airflow to the radiator. Longer rows will decrease the impact to the radiator airflow, yet increase the amount of boost pressure drop within the IC system. I think this set-up is a reasonable compromise.

I understand your concern with the MSD DIS-2 being used to control the ignition timing since it didn't workout for you (not to mention, your unit crapped out on you after a few weeks). It's been about a month since I installed the DIS-2 and it's been working great so far. I have a feeling I can get it to work with my set-up, which is a little different than yours when you ran the DIS-2. You were running a calibrated MAF and 42 lbs injectors right? I know the re-calibrated MAF sends reduced airflow (voltage) signals to the PCM to control the injectors............which in turn increases ignition timing due to the (now) decreased load values. The calibrated MAF you are running has fixed values, the Greddy E-Manage I'm running has a lot more flexibility in calibrating the MAF (correction factor) regardless of what size injectors I'm running. Also, I'm going to run 36 lbs injectors so the initial calibration (correction factor) will not be as great as yours.

With the E-Manage, you can program what size the stock injectors were and what the new injector size is. It uses the difference between the two to calculate the calibration (correction factor). This gives me a lot of control over what that correction factor is.....and that has a direct impact on the ignition timing.

I can also use the EEC-V's short term / long term adaptive fuel system trim to my advantage.
The short term / long term adaptive fuel system trim is the PCM's feature that makes many people believe that any changes you make to the engines tuning will be learned by the PCM and returned to the stock tuning. This is true only for fuel maps, but it has it's limitations (about 35% trim adjustment). What this means is I can program into the E-Manage stock 19 lbs injector instead of 17 lbs injectors, that will decrease the correction factor for the 36 lbs injectors.......(that will cause it to run a little lean at idle and cruise)..........then let the EEC-V's short term / long term adaptive fuel system trim increase the injector duty cycles to the proper A/F ratio for those conditions.......yet I'll still have full control over my fuel maps at higher RPM's and when under boost. Obviously, this is all theoretical at this point, so I'll have to just wait and see how much timing I'm going to need to pull when I get the turbo in.....but I think the DIS-2 will be able to handle that.

I really appreciate your input. Your experience and insight has been very valuable to me in planning, designing and building my custom turbo set-up. Keep those comments and ideas coming........:biggrin:

·
Registered
832 Posts
I still think you aught to try an extra injector or two and use the E-manage to clamp the MAF voltage and that way you won't have to pull that much timing.

36lbs will only do around 170whp and aren't enough for 200whp. 42s are the minimum if you use 4 injectors. I've been going though this whole thing on the Contour forums about injector sizing for a given HP, but for the Zetec 42s are neccessary for 200whp. With 42s and 200whp you'd be under 85% injector duty cycle max. Turbo Tom is running 92lb injectors on his 400+whp Focus.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do intend to clamp the MAF voltage and use the Greddy MAP sensor to plot the fuel maps when it exceeds the MAF sensor's maximum flow rates. I thought about using additional injectors, but there's no good place to install them on the plastic stock intake manifold.

How are you calculating the airflow rates for the Zetec engine? According to my calculations, the airflow at 225 hp is about 327 CFM (22 lbs/min)...........that translates into 36 lbs fuel injectors at 85% duty cycle. My calculation was done using a 0.55 brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) for forced induction.

Anyway, if I'm running out of injectors (A/F ratio leaning out), I have two options. One is to install larger injectors (42 lbs)............or use a Kenne Bell boost-a-pump to increase fuel rail pressure under boost.

·
Registered
832 Posts
http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm#WORKSHEET
This is where I get my info or fuel injector sizing. I used 230 desired CRANK HP, .60 fuel consumption for FI, 45psi fuel pressure, maximum duty cycle 85%, = 39.9lb/hr injectors. 230 estimated Crank HP is 200whp with an estimated 18% driveline loss. For my money 12:1 is the leanest you want to run on a boosted Zetec. And if you can only get 91 octane you might want to go 11:1.

Every Focus doing 200whp is using four 42lb/hr injectors or has an one extra 42lb/hr like the SFMS in the Aerocharger kit. You don't install a fifth injector in the intake manifold you install it in the intake pipe before the throttle body. This site gives you an idea how to make a cheap fifth injector with a junkyard cold start injector.
http://home.earthlink.net/~tmahon281/fuel.html

Here is a pic of the Aerocharger fifth injector setup.

The tube on the left is the housing the injector sits in and it's screwed into the penulum of the intake right above the throttle body. It's taken Foci to 200whp though it hasn't always worked without deto and it just spews fuel in once the MAF hits 4.9v with no way to regulate it so it's pig rich down low and a bit lean up high. It's also too close to the throttle body IMHO. That second link I posted says optimal placement for fuel distribution in the intake pipe is 6 inches from the TB. Also the fuel going into the intake pipe will cool the intake charger helping to suppress deto.

It will take more work to fab a regular injector to work in the intake pipe as you'd have to weld a injector boss in the pipe and then figure out a way to clamp the injector in place so it won't pop out under boost. Also you don't want to jack up the fuel pressure unless you have a return line and a fuel pressure regulator. And it's questionable if the stock pump can support even 200whp with boost. On Foci sometimes the stock pump can't keep up even with 42s and they have to upgrade. StreetFlight recommended the stock Contour SVT fuel pump if the stock pump doesn't keep up. It's almost a direct plug in and costs only $75, from them anyway. But with 42s and stock fuel pressure you can hit up to 250whp if the pump keeps up.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the links..........useful information. I noticed that various injector calculators come up with slightly different numbers. I've seen the RC Engineering injector calculator before. I also used this injector calculator....http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/fuel_injector.php and the two do come up with different numbers.

I like the idea of additional injectors cooling the intake charge. I have two extra 36 lbs injectors that could be set-up on the Greddy sub-injector circuit. I'll keep that as a back up plan if the four 36's fall short. As for 36 lbs injectors not being able to hit 200 fwhp, a focus Zetec hit 269 fwhp at 15 psi boost on a calibrated MAF and 36 lbs injectors........and stock fuel pump. Of course, this was done on race gas. At 15 psi the A/F was leaning out pretty bad, but at 10 psi it was doing 225 fwhp..........without any other fuel or engine management besides the re-calibrated MAF. That's one of the reasons I decided to try the 36's.

What's the pressure rating on the Contour SVT fuel pump? Would this increase the fuel pressure at the fuel rail across the board?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm not sure if the SVT pump jacks up the pressure but it can out flow the stock pump, I think that's why.

I don't know what magazine you're refering too, but when it comes to Zetec tuning there are only two people I trust. One is TurboTom and the other is P-51 from the Focaljet. TurboTom, of course, because he had the first high power kit and was one of the first to crack the ECU and P-51 was one of the first guys in North America to buy a Pectel and tuned the car himself.

TurboTom recommends 42s for 200whp and his kit comes with them stock. Pretty much all 200whp Foci are running 42s. Also remember different sized turbos will make different HP at a given psi. Everybody on the Focaljet recommends 42s and P-51 is running 42s and is pushing 190whp and 11:1 A/F and no intercooler and he's hitting 90% duty cycle using the Pectel.

Also 42s only cost a few bucks more than 36s, so go for the best value for the money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts