New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see all these posts about how people made a custom turbo, how come no one does a custom supercharger? Is it possible? Would it be harder to make? Fill me in.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It would be a lot harder to make because the sc runs off the drive belt. Plus the only type of sc that would fit under our hoods is the Centrifugal type. But I am not saying it cannot be done.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
A Custom SC setup is easy...but going through the fabbing costs, you may as well buy what's there already and upgrade it, or just build a turbo.

SC setups are easy. I and a friend fabbed up one for his car a few years back. There was room on the pulley side of the engine, so we didn't need a jackshaft of any type. The brackets were made from metal we cut and welded, and the hoses were measured and mocked up with flex pipes and brought to a muffler shop for some real piping.

This a return systemed OBD1 car, so getting the basic fuel system upgrades with an adjustible FPR to raise fuel at idle and a FMU (boost controlled) to raise fuel pressure at boost. An ATI procharger was used.

Kit in total cost the car owner about $2000, but he had all the tools needed and access to lifts. And I just lent a hand in installing and fitting the kit.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I keep forgetting to reply to this post. I have the prints to put a Procharger on a coog. with a FMIC . The charger is on the pulley side B/C there is just enough room to put a belt upthrough there. There is a little fab work to do with A/C lines but other than that you don't have to relocate the battery or anything.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Jag, are you using the Universal Sport Compact Kit as a starting point? When you do your R&D, please consider the 3L engines people are swapping in. It would increase your customer base. ;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
there is nothing with a 3.0l swap that I am aware of that will interfere with this kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts