New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent an email to Carbon Werks inquiring about custom carbon fiber door panels, and this was the response

>From: "Evan Nguyen" <[email protected]>
>Reply-To: <[email protected]>
>To: <[email protected]>
>Subject: FW: Carbon-Werks - Contact Form
>Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 06:18:19 -0800
>
>Hi Alex,
>
>Thank you for your inquiry. You basically have 2 options when it comes
>to custom door panels. We can either cover your OEM panel in carbon
>fiber or make a complete replacement piece out of it. The weight
>difference is tremendous. Your only drawback is that some OEM
>look/features might not be obtainable with the complete replacement
>pieces. If the shape is to complex, we normally play around with it and
>mold it into a more desirable shape. A good example would be the case
>of door panel inserts on 2 toned interiors. What we normally do is
>blend them into one complete piece and make a mold out of that. The
>complete replacement option yields better fitment and weight saving, but
>at a higher cost. Covering your existing panels takes almost the same
>amount of time and labor, but you're looking at about $500 cheaper due
>to the fact that molds are not required. So to give you a rough
>estimate, you're looking at about $1,000 - $1,200 for overlays and about
>$500 more for complete replacement pieces. Now if you can find others
>who want to do the same thing then you can split the cost of the mold
>with them. If you can get more than 10 people to do it, then we'd just
>waive the cost of the mold and knock off $100-$200 off of the price of
>the panels. Let me know if you have any other questions.
>
>Regards,
>Evan Nguyen
>
>Carbon-Werks Inc.
>1354 S. Grand Ave.
>Los Angeles, CA 90015
>Tel: 213.746.0118 Fax: 213.746.6313
>Website: www.carbon-werks.com
>Email: [email protected]

I followed up with this email

Hi Evan,

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply! You gave me all the information I needed, I'll let some other people know about the pricing you gave just to see if anyone is interested.

Thanks again,

Alex

PS: I forgot two things actually. If this were to be done, is it possible to just ship the door panels to cali to make the mold of or would the entire car need to be there? And the pricing (estimate of course) that you gave, that is for just the front two door panels or all around 4 panels? I assume just the front doors because in the Cougar the rear panels are very different than the front, so a new mold would be needed.

What do ya'll think??

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
nice idea, but too much moolah for my blood

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh I knew the costs were going to be high :( but its something I had been thinking about for a while.

EDIT - But if someone like James wants some extra points in 2004 :p

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I talked to these people a while ago... you probably called them becuase i posted their info... best door panels are JJennings old panels which are still available..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by: Cougaritus
best door panels are JJennings old panels which are still available..
Who is Jjennings? Is this just one person's panels or are they someone who makes panels for our cars? Sorry if I sound stupid on this.

Also has anyone looked into getting fiberglass panels made by a company for our cars? They might not be as pretty but they should be cheaper.

:cover: just incase people decide to flame me for asking questions.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
JJennings made (or at least has) a complete fiberglass door panel....looks real nice :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Originally posted by: ProjectCougar
Yea the door panels are called Door Armor... I will have them available right after SEMA is wrapped up
figured i would show a pic of the door armor james talks about.

i would buy some 'if' the price was right.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
well, right now they retail for $599

But its going to be hard to get these door panels compeditivly priced... cause right now, those panels cost as much as a basic bodykit.
If James was able to offer them for $100 less... well, then thats the same price as new Headers, and new-hood territory :) both of which i would rather get than new door panels.

we'll see though... I know James has connections... so who knows what price he will be able to give us.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I remember when jjenning's door panels were posted the first time... One question: How the hell do you shut the door once you get in? assuming the window's rolled up. There's no handle?? haha anyone thought about that?

:shrug:

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: TennisMenace
I remember when jjenning's door panels were posted the first time... One question: How the hell do you shut the door once you get in? assuming the window's rolled up. There's no handle?? haha anyone thought about that?

i would imagine that you pull the door handel thingy, and momentum takes over to close it. or you just roll down your window. :)

MY question is - what if we dont have nice circular speakers like that, or - what if we dont want our speakers visable!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
^^^^^^^^^You could leave the speaker in the stock location on the inside of the door, then put a circular grill over the outside......or just get some new ones. Again....

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Originally posted by: ND4SPD
Originally posted by: TennisMenace

i would imagine that you pull the door handel thingy, and momentum takes over to close it. or you just roll down your window. :)

MY question is - what if we dont have nice circular speakers like that, or - what if we dont want our speakers visable!
i think these are made with the same theory of kick pods in mind. they give you the ability to add a nice set of componets. speaking of which, do they make kick pods for our cars??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts