New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I am done with my performance mods, I want to get a chip. I have heard it is best to get it last and have it custom burned. How do I go about doing that? How much should I expect to pay? Benefits of custom burn?

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Here is the long and short of it.

When you add mods to your car, ie: i/h/e, you are giving the engine a chance to burn easier. But the computer in the car overrides a LOT of the potential the mods have on the car. If we were talking about a '69 Chevy, you could simply put the mods on and manually adjust a few things and you would have all the potential power the first time you drive it.

With computer controlled cars you don't get that, because the computer has to "learn" the different mods. The downside of this is that as the engine "learns" the mods it also restricts them. This happens because the computer tries to compensate the extra airflow by adding extra gas flow, as to keep the mixture right. But the computer is designed to keep things running with clean emissions in mind.

The chip is there to correct that, the same way manually adjusting a carb would help get the max potential out of the '69 Chevy. The chip should be programmed to work with the mods you have, that way you get the max potential out of your mods.

The best thing to do is to get all the bolt on mods that you want, after you have every mod you will want, then you get a chip that is programmed with your mods in mind. That way you can untap all potential gains.

Some companies already have a list of mods and know how to burn the chip while only needing you to tell them what specific mods you have. But the best way is to have them run tests on your car to find out exact flow rates and what not, then they can custom burn the chip to work best with exactly what you have in your car, and what it is running prior to adding the chip.

I would assume it is pretty expensive, chips themselvs run a few hundred. Having them custom burn one would most likely add a lot on top.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm working on becoming a Diablo dealer, so I can be able to custom burn chips.

I am also working on finding a SVT computer, so I can compare their tables to ours.

If I can do it, I'll sell NECO members custom burned chips.

G

·
Blackcoog: I have a superchip and a performance shop said they can re-burn the chip with a custom program for $125.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.