New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is going to sound so ghetto, but here goes anyway --

My g/f just bought a 2001 Cougar (isn't that nice - now we have matching Cats), but she doesn't have the cash to replace the exhaust right off the bat. Does anyone know a simple way to remove the stock tailpipe tip so that we can at least paint it, and maybe replace? I can't seem to find a rivet or screw or anything on the damn thing that would allow a quick removal, and the Ford CD doesn't outline anything, either.

I'm hoping someone else has taken that tip off, and may have a pointer or two for me....

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Isnt it welded on?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
i had to get a small hand held grinder and a blow torch to get my factory tip off, its welded damn good, but a lil bit of hammering and cutting on the tip will get it off- only prob is the back part of tip is like severly welded to muffler, havnt gotten that peice off yet, but afterwards i bought a tip from auto zone and bolted the sucker on- looks ok for now , but it is ghetto style:biggrin:

·
Registered
478 Posts
why paint it?.....isn't it stainless?

G

·
I grinded Mine off from behind the whole tip. The cut wasnt that clean, but the tip fit much better. That was before i hacked off my whole muffler and extended the piping all the way out. I also replaced the upper muffler with just straight piping. It was the cheap way, but it sounds good and adds HP's just as much as an aftermarket muffler would. When i get the cash ill buy a Cat-back

1 - 6 of 6 Posts