New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you take the far right vent off for painting?

I saw your other post - but what do the 2 clamps you need to hold down look like?

are they silver?

If they are - i pushed on them as hard as i could and the vent never came off. Can you let me know what im doing wrong?

(Im right in the middle of taking the car apart :( )

Thanks!!
Doug

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
and here I am to save the day :biggrin:

Vent Removal

if you are talking about the small little vent next to the side passenger vent all you need to do is slowly and carefully pry that up... there is a screw in there holding it inside the dash so you have to ease it out... on reassembly just adjust the screw a tad so it is easier to push back in...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YEA!! CRISPY :)

no you were right the first time - its the round bigger vent.

I had read your post "nsert the screwdriver at the 5'o clock and 7' o clock positions... there are 2 tabs there that you will need to depress, once that is done the vent will pop right out. once you paint it just simply push it back in..."

Problem is - I cant find the 2 tabs. Are they silver? - if they are I tried pushing them down and the vent never popped up. (Its hard to see in there too)

Car is still apart lol

Please help crispy :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
there are 2 plastic tabs inside..... they are connected to the back of the vent... if you open the vent all the way and stare into it you should be able to see what I am referring to as you are prying... :)

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
no not from inside.... you slide the screwdriver in between the dash and the vent and pry up -- but you want to do this DIRECTLY at the 5 and 7 o'clock positions so the screwdriver depresses those tabs in those areas...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's that easy.. I actually took my glove box out and went back there with a flood light and found the screws holding in both vents and then I just took them out. :) It was such a project. :)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Ya I did this a few weeks ago.. not all that bad, just a b|tch findin the tabs!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
**Update ** at the last meet 11/17/01 - Merv and I still could find the tabs - let alone depress them lol

The search for the missing tabs continues.

(You pry straight up at those positions correct?)

Wish me luck ;)

Doug

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
yup....

think of that as a clock face.... stick the screwdriver in at those exact spots -- 5 and 7 o'clock positions inbetween the vent and the vinyl dash.... push in and pry up...... once you see it pop up a tad its pretty much free and you can pull it twards you... make sure you are using the largest and widest flat head you own....

·
Registered
472 Posts
cougardoug, taking that passenger side vent out is a royal pain. i finally got mine out after many failed attempts. if you take out the glove box you can see better where the tabs are but you cant take it out by way of the glove box. the best advice i can give you is, IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED, PRY PRY AGAIN;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts