New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for some reason my car is drinking gas. i tried running high test only for a few weeks, but it is barely getting 20mpg, i know i have a v6 and thats not bad...but isnt it supposed to be around 25, especially since most of my driving is on the highway??? i guess im going to buy some new plugs, so which ones should i get? also...should i check air filter, fuel pump, anything esle? and what is a good way to increase gas milage?? thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
New plugs should help as well as the air filter. Most people use the Motorcraft/Autolite/Denso Iridium plugs with good results (Stay away from Bosch +4's). You should also get the best gas mileage at around 80Kph/50mph.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
im also interested in this. my cougar is the same way. what about bosche +2's? why not the 4's?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have seen many people complain about +4's causing the car to run bad with them, then the problem goes away with say normal Motorcraft plugs (original plugs used for Fords). You also pay more money for a gimmick, just cause they have 4 posts it don't mean that the plug is superior. My brother owns a Ford Probe and thought it was a good idea to throw these plugs in. They were pre-gapped and when the car was started it idled funny, it didn't sound right. I told him to go buy some normal NGK plugs and all was fine. They may work alright, but if they don't u just spent money for nothing. Try doind a search for Bosch +4's, you may find some info.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
For the eight-million and one time. :disgust: The cougar has an unique ignition system that requires a SPECIAL plug that has a platinum tip on the center electrode as well as the "Ground" conductor.. You can get this plug from Motorcraft and Autolite. Those two are the only manufactures of this style of plug. Notice that there is one coil for two plugs and TWO plugs fire at the SAME time.. And one is in the REVERSE direction .. that is the way a DIS or Dual Ignition System works. :ugh: You may want more information. I'd suggest you do a search. You might be enlightened on this and other subjects .. :biggrin: .. really ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
true, advanced auto tole me i needed double plat plugs...whatever that means......

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
CougarBoi-

MrFroge's post says why you need double platinum plugs. You fire both from cathode to anode, and from anode to cathode on the opposite circuit simultaneously. You need both a platinum anode and a platinum cathode to stand up to this spark system.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
FYI,

The platinum is just for wear purposes. The NGK Iridiums (and presumably the Denso Iridiums) work well in the engine too. I pulled mine after 6mo of VERY hard driving, and there was no wear whatsoever. FYI, Iridium is supposed to wear even better than platinum, while producing more power than platinum. That said, it is true that only the center electrode is Iridium on both that I mentioned, so the ground strap may wear (although in my experience with NGK Iridiums, I haven't seen that yet).

Massiv.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Btw, Cougarboi, I only get about 19-21mpg... but traffic flows at 130kph around here (80mph), and I regularly do 140 to/from work (87mph) with frequent blasts higher than that. If I stick it in cruise at typical US interstate speeds, I get better mileage. (Typical, excluding the really flat spots! Like Oregon's paltry 55mph on I5!!!)

Massiv.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts