New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Many moons ago, I purchased this red cougar, it was my first car with my own money. I had tons of fun in it, went everywhere, fixed it all the time, modded it slightly....

Then someone ruined it for me :(
I bought a silver one that then lit on fire a few weeks later...

Now several months later I am going to restore this car!

Problems:
•Front Frame bent, impact passenger side.
•windshield shattered
•passenger side motor mount busted
•lower radiator hose broken
•airbags deployed
•bumper destroyed
•headlight shattered

In mind I have the idea of, using my friends diesel f250, I attach a tow strap (or chain?) to the bent area. Put the car in neutral, hit the ebrake and the vacuum brakes (I can keep some accumulated from starting the car briefly before?) and that should pull the little bit I need out so I can work on that radiator hose?

The engine itself is still great, and the drivetrain & steering still works good. I’ve been moving it from parking spot to spot each day to keep it from getting towed...

As soon as I get it reliable again, I plan on going from there with upgrades...

Please let me know what I definitely should NOT do, and anything else I should do/ look out for.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Seems like alot of money and time to spend on a car that can be bought regularly that just needs a new motor for $600.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
+1 for get a new one, grab the good parts off this one, and let her go. I did. no fun, heart wrenching, but it was the right choice. I Love the new one to death and can look at my last one knowing it was way, way too far gone anyway.

Sweet SW20 next to it by the way.

·
Administrator
15,469 Posts
Uh...the F250 frame machine isn't known to be accurate. Please take it to a real body shop to have that part done, otherwise it will most likely never be right.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Or cut out the damaged section and have a new piece welded in. Your photo looks like a military base, where are you located and do you have a hobby shop to work at?

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you're going to paint anyway which I assume, don't you have a silver Donor for a lot of what you need already? I saw the photos, and from the looks of them you could still get a lot from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts