New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Step 1 in my very slow process of trying to recreate Cougar RC bodies.
I submit to you: A Cougar paver!
IMG_3515[1].jpg

Step 2 is to patch and smooth the imperfections, and make some minor adjustments to the design to look more like one of my cars. I've been putting off doing that but I'll get around to it eventually.

I might make a second one of these because I have some ideas of how to do it better now that I've done it once.

·
Registered
361 Posts
that's pretty slick. What was the process if you don't mind me asking?

I have two of the 1/18 cougars. I wonder if anyone has taken an existing like size rc car of any performance and swapped the body over? Maybe I should try since I have two and one of them is still in the original box so clearly that would not be the candidate.

I have all kinds of stuff in my yard including vintage model A wheels , and my hose reel is my current 18" spyder Axis rim that was cracked years ago. I would love to have a permanent cougar outside somewhere.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starting with an RC body that had a failed a paint job, I packed sand around the exterior for support, then filled the inside with cement.
At first, removal was difficult but I let it sit in the sun for a couple days and the thermal variations popped it loose and it came right out.
If I do it again, I will sift the cement before mixing, and also use a release agent.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Starting with an RC body that had a failed a paint job, I packed sand around the exterior for support, then filled the inside with cement.
At first, removal was difficult but I let it sit in the sun for a couple days and the thermal variations popped it loose and it came right out.
If I do it again, I will sift the cement before mixing, and also use a release agent.
This is très cool. :thumbsup:

Cement you say... well, it sure won't blow away, right? I'm thinking of uses for such a beast and hows abouts a door stop or maybe a careful slice in half and you could make book-ends for Cougar books?

Did you ever try Plaster of Paris? I did a couple of molds just this summer actually, and it was so easy to work with and kind of fun too. Shapes nicely if you end up with any imperfections, and it's relatively light once it has dried fully.

A rubber tipped air nozzle for <whatever> you use, pointed in to the joints tends to free anything sticky. I used to mold motorbike gas tanks (fiberglass and carbon mostly), and had actually mounted a fitting in to the mold so it could accept a standard shop air hose and be cautiously pressured up. Worked well, never broke anything.

;)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just didnt see any plaster in my local stores. I'll use joint compound for the smoothing and customizing though

·
Super Moderator
22,044 Posts
that is correct. there was a big group buy back in the day. some of us have hoarded some of them. part of the issue with looking for them is that cougar is spelled wrong on the label, so searching can be tricky. I think it is "couger" on the package

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If anyone has a lead on one, let me know as I'd pay top dollar. thanks
Thats kind of my end-game here, trying to make them. Learning about vacuum forming as I go. No guarantees on a time line, although generally speaking I'm hoping to have a couple running models by next Cougarfest.

I might even attempt to go the fiberglass route, but I would prefer to test that idea on another body first to make sure I dont destroy my master.
Obviously a fiberglass model wouldnt be as durable as a plastic one, so it would most likely be a shelf-model more than a frequently used toy.

·
So its begun.....
16,832 Posts
I think I still have a couple new ones. I'll check the stash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts