New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a small town if you will, 2 lanes of traffic each way. I was going to work yesterday and just drove past an 8 cylinder 2003 mustang and reved my muffler up in his window when i drove for kicks and giggles. Once I was past him, he darted out behind my car and got on my ass. So I speeded up a lil bit and thought I'd have some fun. When he had room he pulled out beside me, got right beside my car and we looked at each other, at this point I was going 40 - 45mph and he kicked it down, I was in 4th and dropped it into 3rd and i swear to god my tires burnt, i kept beside him (uphill mind you) for almost a quarter mile...my car must have been almost redlining. I looked down and I was at 5 1/2 x 1000 RPM...I was like holy sheet. I never would have thought I could keep up with a mustang. He was constantly a nose ahead of me but yet we were side by side..thought i'd share my 2.0 story.

G

·
yea i dont think mustangs are really that fast unless you mod them. but they are quick needless. there is a kid down here by me who has a v-8 stang and has it all looking ugly like a cobra r wana be. One day he pissed me off so i smoked his ass in front of his friends. whats even funnier they were filming it

G

·
an NA 4 cylinder keeping up with a newer GT MTX (im guessin since you said "he kicked it down"? hmmm i dunno bout that. my :bs: flag is coming out on this one

·
Registered
304 Posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by: rlh134
yea i dont think mustangs are really that fast unless you mod them.
Ya, neither are Cougars. I don't think that shaved badges and clear sidemarkers are gonna bump a Cougars performance above that of a V8 Mustang. Especially a 4 cylinder Cougar none the less. If you are telling the truth, the mustang either wasn't racing, or it was a V6. I have performance mods, and am running nitrous and I would still fear lining up against a 100% stock V8 Stang.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
yea i dont think mustangs are really that fast unless you mod them. but they are quick needless. there is a kid down here by me who has a v-8 stang and has it all looking ugly like a cobra r wana be. One day he pissed me off so i smoked his ass in front of his friends. whats even funnier they were filming it
Oh it's captain bull sh!t
how's it going capin?

and no I don't believe this 2.0 story sorry kid
you didn't burn your TIRE in 3rd gear and you didn't stay side
by side with a 2003 mustang GT
your car might have 109 hp to the wheels

G

·
Oh it's captain bull sh!t
how's it going capin?

and no I don't believe this 2.0 story sorry kid
you didn't burn your TIRE in 3rd gear and you didn't stay side
by side with a 2003 mustang GT
your car might have 109 hp to the wheels
;:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey Topgunz, don't make me come up to gonzales and put the smack down on the tour. You know you can't hang chump. :biggrin:

·
Registered
191 Posts
What you heard going into third gear was probably your belt slipping. Mustang was messing with you man.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Im going to call bs on this cuz, no way tires will spin in 3rd at 45, you should have downshifted to 2nd too. My car hauls ass in 2nd at higher rpms, but Im positive a mustang gt will beat me. 5500 isnt much either. Ever since I got exhaust intake it wants to keep revving but I have to stop cause of fuel cutoff. Oh and I had 109.6hp to wheels stock heh.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Originally posted by: FastCat2002
I don't know about the tale, but I can scratch them in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. On an upshift and a 2.0. I don't know about downshifting though.
Keep me in mind when you need a new tranny, I can get you a good price. :)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The mustang was probably an automatic for one thing, another - he more than likely didn't have it to the floor, third - it was probably his tires burning but it was funny it happened the same time i downshifted...hey just my gd story, he must not have been racing but i can always think he was for confidence...

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Originally posted by: PeDL2DaMeDL
I was in 4th and dropped it into 3rd and i swear to god my tires burnt
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
i kept beside him (uphill mind you) for almost a quarter mile...my car must have been almost redlining. I looked down and I was at 5 1/2 x 1000 RPM...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm sorry, but going uphill in a 2800lbs car with 112lb/ft torque at the wheels you sure as hell aren't going to stay side by side with a new Mustang GT with probably almost twice that in torque. He was messing with you and not even trying.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
let me tell you i was racing a mustang the other morning i was doin 130 and he was still pulling a head of me. i was like dang. the dude wouldnt even let me get up next to him to give him a thumbs up.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
LOL! This is a really good thread. 4 banger near stock takes on a Mustang GT from 40 roll. If you heard tires spinning I can almost assure you it was the mustang, not you.

And going up hill, I would assume the mustang pulled about 3 cars or more on you even him being bone stock, A4. More if 5 speed.

I had a A4 stang and dynoed bone stock about 269lbs of torque on the wheels. Almost right on the money of 302lbs of torque crank. They are not a beast stock but they are still pretty stout nontheless.

And even with mild bolt ons I've seen them run 12s at the 1/4 :) I know first hand as I got my @ss handed to me this weekend by my buddy in his 02 GT hehe. My car fell flat on it's face at 70mph and he pulled right on by.

It needs tuning again. Freaking shift points killed me. Only problem with an automatic if racing with bolt ons :( sucker doesn't want to shift right.

But oh well :) I have something for him for the spring races hehe.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Originally posted by: zeteckat
Hey Topgunz, don't make me come up to gonzales and put the smack down on the tour. You know you can't hang chump. :biggrin:
you dont -really- wanna try that, do you? I mean, c'mon...I've got more to the wheels than you do at the crank! It'd be a fun kill though...next meet bring it on

1 - 20 of 42 Posts