New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well me and my friend are coming back from a self car wash and decide to take the highway home to dry off our cars. hes got a 2000 mustang GT ( gears, exhaust, chip..) so we get on the highway,me first, and i hear him behind me floor it so what the hell, i floor it too. i was probably going between 50-60, my car downshifts and to my suprise he stayed behind me. that is until my car shifted, thats when it got ugly. he pulled pretty strong, got maybe 2-3 car lengths then we let off at about 95-100. i knew hed pull on me but i was somewhat suprised on how close it was til my piece o'crap atx shifted.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
does he have a manual? and is it a convertible? The mustang GTs are not that impressive performance-wise. good job tho, 2-3 car lengths isn't that much.

Mike

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
does he have a manual? and is it a convertible? The mustang GTs are not that impressive performance-wise. good job tho, 2-3 car lengths isn't that much.

Mike

Aren't that impressive in relation to what? :confused: A cougar? I hate to say it but they are a lot faster then our cars. If there weren't SOOOOO many of them I'd have gotten one. I just hate driving the same thing as everyone else.

M

·
0 Posts
The gt's may be faster, but their top end is definately not their strong point. I'm not surprised he kept up so long.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coupe, manual but with a bunch of stereo stuff in the trunk. If i remember correctly, his car weighed in at aprox. 3500 or 3600 pounds at the track. his car is quick for sure, hes run 14.5 without any mods. still suprised me tho that he didnt pass me til it shifted.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hey Happy New Year guys! I figured I'd check up on the Mustang bashing board once again and bring back a little reality check!

·
Registered
954 Posts
everyone up here has a damn mustang...i get tired of seeing them, not too many cougs, mine is the only modded one...slightly.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
14.5? Didn't somebody on here run like, a 15.7 in a stock mtx cougar? not that much faster for a 90hp difference.

Mike

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yeah Tony (CougarXR7) did. I was there the day he did that run, was very happy for him. Keep in mind, 14.5 is on the slow side for a 5 speed coupe. Not much difference for 90 hp? OK I guess that would explain why you have a tough enough time beating Civic SI's which have 10 hp LESS than you!

A stock 99+ Mustang GT runs on average 14.0 in the 1/4. Even for 14.5 it is over a second quicker in the 1/4 which is a huge margin. A stock ATX cougar runs on average like 16.9-17.0 in the 1/4? I would be crossing the finish line practically right after it crosses 1/8 mile. Please even from a 60 mph roll it would be nothing short of an ass raping.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
14.5? Didn't somebody on here run like, a 15.7 in a stock mtx cougar? not that much faster for a 90hp difference.
1 second is a big diffrence IMO
it can prove very difficult/expensive to gain a second in the quarter mile with a Cougar.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
There's really no comparison between a 99+ Mustang GT and a 99+ Cougar in a race... I have both cars and even with my ATX running 15.9, it would indeed be an ass-raping from any speed. There are things I still like about my Cougar, but acceleration-wise my Cougar feels completely lifeless compared to the GT.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
When your car weighs hundreds or pounds less (Curb Weight for a Civic Si 2782 lbs.) it's easy to keep up with a fat cat. Too bad not all Cougars are made the same; I seem not to have a problem with the Si's. I keep up with them or beat them just fine. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts