New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone has put a V-8 in their Cougar? Also if no one has done how many of you would like to do it if there was a kit for the conversion instead of the 3.0?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
There "it" goes again.......

G

·
before any "WOWS" start,

this is not a street legal cougar. it is a super stock, NHRA-raced car, out of bayway, TX. (division4, just in case you wanted to know). its basically a race car with a cougar body and interior. rear-wheel drive, 16" slicks and all. its fast, but not that fast, since in super stock, you cant run faster than 10.90.

this car is not a big winner. a lot of his compitition are hemi cuda's, darts, etc.

yes this is a repost

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
And ive got a crap load of photos to-repost, but im not gonna do it cuz...well...its been done too many times already. The owner of the NHRA car needs to make another apperance so I can refresh my old pictures.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Originally posted by: kod277
I'm just wondering if anyone has put a V-8 in their Cougar? Also if no one has done how many of you would like to do it if there was a kit for the conversion instead of the 3.0?
Not sure what your connections are but, I think there would be a small handfull that would actually like to do it. ATI makes something now but with all the parts and fab (even after junkyard parts are used) they estimate 15k for cost.

If you can keep the cost a lot lower for the fabricated pieces I would be very interested. Build over a year or so span when i have the money for the actual parts. I would love to have a 302 in my car. It would have to be RWD tho. Not sure how else you would do.

[GnuLoCo]

·
Registered
506 Posts
Isnt the newer taurus SHO have a FWD V8? Some one should look in to swapping out the engine and tranny for that. Just an idea.

·
Registered
832 Posts
From what I hear the problem with doing this is you compromise the stock handling. From what I hear our cars have pretty decent handling, at least for the twisty's. Doing a V8 swap with a solid axle will compromise this handling.

Also I hear every Focus that's had this done has sucked cause it can't go straight. Modified turbo'd front wheeled drives could beat it down the quarter. One of the guys on the Focaljet is really doggin these swaps since the Focus is also a great handler and the V8 swap totally screws that up.

The thing that'd might be good is there is supposedly some AWD drivetrains that would bolt up to our chasis, off Jaguar's and Modeno's and that'd for me would be the thing to do.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Originally posted by: Seawulf
From what I hear our cars have pretty decent handling,

haha like you havent you driven your own? if you have other compact cars to compare to, cougars handle REALLY well. especially w/ roush springs. whee!!

but yeah. having a v8 would necessitate a different rear suspension setup, and perhaps front suspension too. Depending on how much the motor weighs you might need taller springs up front which would ruin a bunch of things right there. If you wanted to save some bux and use the typical pickup truck style tube axle in the rear that would ruin a lot more.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well, I've never driven it hard in a bunch of corners. I'd like to try some autox and, even some(don't make fun of me) drifting:cover::tongue: I'd love to tackle a down hill, if there were any around me, but I'd probably die.
So that's why I said I hear we've got good handling.

They're always talking on the Focus forums about how good the stock suspension on the Focus is and their are a few doing autox with turbo's pushing 200whp on a stock block and they do autox and track sessions at least once a month or more and say the Focus can take most cars there because of how good the ZX3's suspension is and how light it is. Wonder how my Coug would compare, only dissadvantage would be the extra weight we got.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by: FastCat2002
is there a way to contact the person with the v-8 cougar? if so can you let me know so i can contact him about there car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure what your connections are but, I think there would be a small handfull that would actually like to do it. ATI makes something now but with all the parts and fab (even after junkyard parts are used) they estimate 15k for cost.

If you can keep the cost a lot lower for the fabricated pieces I would be very interested. Build over a year or so span when i have the money for the actual parts. I would love to have a 302 in my car. It would have to be RWD tho. Not sure how else you would do.

[GnuLoCo][/quote]

how is a ATI and what is there website if you don't mind? well i can't see how it cost 15k the whole conversion.

well i will have to see how much this would cost. i'll should know in a couple of months it is worth getting into and that i have the time to do so.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Ford Racing Performance Parts took a European-spec Focus RS and turned it into a tire-melting rear-wheel drive V8-powered project car to showcase their new modular V8 crate engine, the 5.0L DOHC "Cammer" producing 420 horsepower. The Focus RS8 was introduced at this years SEMA show.

Food for thought... [GnuLoCo]

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Wow! Way to kick up an old ass thread! :biggrin:t

1 - 15 of 15 Posts