New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup all i got a 01 I4 and i hate it. i love the look of it, but i hate the [censored]ing 15 inch dinky rims i have, also its slow as hell. i feel like i have to floor the car to keep up with the other cars on the highway, i very frequenlty catch my self puttin along in 5th gear when it feels like i should be maintaning a decent speed. you shoulnt have to floor the car to keep normal speed, especially since when your accelerating it sounds like your gonna blow the engine cuz its working so hard.

i have a 7 year 77,000 mile warentee on it and i want to know what i can do to the car to make it faster, without voiding my warentee.

i know i probably cant do much but all suggestions would be appreciated.

also, when i downshift what should it sound like, to me it really feels like the car is being torn apart. it doesnt feel like a standard, if i downshift it will get that feel of dropping gears, but it doesnt last long and then it seems like its somewhat just coasting instead of slowing down. also it makes a loud whiiiiiiiiioooo noise when i down to first gear. that normal?

1 last thing, when i downshift i hear a low clicking noise, sounds like suttin spinnin, and i can slightly feel it in the pedal, i also have this clicking when im accelerating, and im not sure if the car is just plain ass slow or if suttin is wrong cuz it doesnt have much go.

i took it to the dealership a while back and they fixed the clicking for me, but it started again within a day, that was also the day my car started doing the griding. stupidly i never went back to the dealership due to procrastination :banghead:

anyways help

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Ok... quick hints.

• The coasting instead of slowing down? Search for "throttle hang fix". Actually, there's a how-to here: Click.

• Dunno about the whiiiiio noise! Probably normal. Possibly anything. But I think it's normal for our cars. (I have a V6, so could be dif with yours)
• That clicking could be a misfire. If it has no go, and is shuddering, could be exactly like what Bennett and myself just had, Here.
• If you're grinding on shifts, that is NOT normal! Take it back to the dealership, and get all this stuff sorted out on warranty!

Also... for performance, I had a good gain when I put on the CTA Motorsports intake: here. I also got the accordian tube replacement. Dunno about the 4. Actually, since that's the ZETEC, you have MAAAAANNNYYY options! A whole bunch on CTA....

Some other small things for performance/longevity:
• Synthetic Oil (Mobil 1 / Amsoil) actually does free up a bit of horsepower, but is great for wear durability
• Redline fluids in the tranny will correct many people's shifting issues (search here or on the contour site)
• Clean your air filter / change your plugs / fuel filter / etc... do a tune-up.

Massiv.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i saw the v6 part, but thanks anyways man

as far as the low rpm clicking goes i think that could be it, but i need a thread where he actualy describes his problem, is there one

cuz i cant remember if the car is hesitating or not, its smooth aceleration, but very slow and the clicking gets louder the harder i push the petal (mainly if im in 5th doin like 65) or if in min like 4th doing 30 ect, usually just picking up from slowin down or suttin.

since my third grinds i tend to skip it on downshifts 4th to 2nd (that bad?) since i cant float past it like i can on upshifts if i shift and clutch slowly.

·
Administrator
24,494 Posts
Focus performance parts work on the 4-cylinders. Throttle body, intake, cam gears, underdrive pulleys, turbo kits, whatever. Also check out the Zetec performance forum on THIS VERY SITE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts