New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Cougar is running hot ever so often. For instance, I was driving it to Lexington on I-75 and I noticed the temp needle was a little higher than normal. Its usually just a hair before the 1/2 mark on the gauge. Well this day it was at the next to last mark and the air started getting warm. I had only driven it about 35 miles at 71-73 mph. Well I pullled into the exit ramp and when slowed down it went almost to the warning area...then backed off back to almost normal and the ac kicked back on. It did the same thing on the way home. It does fine around town etc. I also drove it to Cincinnati around that same time and it ran a little warm all the way there...but never hot enough to kick off the ac. All of these days it was in the mid 90's as well. What could be the problem...no codes etc? No coolant leaking or coolant smell. The coolant was changed last fall. Thermostat or should I just have it looked at?
Thanks!

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,006 Posts
Is your cooling fan working? Listen for it when the car gets hot. Or you could just turn on the A/C - it automatically kicks the cooling fan on.

If your fan isn't working, check the relay, in the fuse box. And use the diagnostic mode to check the actual coolant temp - it shouldn't get any hotter than about 226 or thereabouts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had this problem with mine... added was the battery kept dying. Turns out that you can't drive around with your AC on Max AC (idling was killing the battery in traffic). It causes overheating. Stopped doing this and viola, problem solved.

Max is intended for temporary use; you switch it to A/C once it cools a bit.

T

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Originally posted by: Troyster
I've had this problem with mine... added was the battery kept dying. Turns out that you can't drive around with your AC on Max AC (idling was killing the battery in traffic). It causes overheating. Stopped doing this and viola, problem solved.

Max is intended for temporary use; you switch it to A/C once it cools a bit.

T
What? Not true.

Max AC means the system recirculates the, already cold, air from inside the cabin. Normal setting brings fresh air from the outside and cools it.

It perfectly fine to drive around with max AC on.....it is actually better to do so. I do it all the time and I live in South Florida. If you can't do it without running hot, then you have another problem.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,006 Posts
Yep - I ran max AC all the way to Cougarfest - non-stop for 3 and a half hours. No ill effects.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.